Leake County, Mississippi Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 00:00, 6 April 2012 by Murphynw (online census and taxation records)
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1833--Leake County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Carthage 
- Civil War service men from Leake County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Leake County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company E - Hall’s Company
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company C - Quitman Southrons
- - Perrin's Battalion, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company D - Perkins’ Company
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).