Leavenworth County, Kansas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1855--Leavenworth County was created 30 August 1855 as an original county. County seat: Leavenworth 
The Courthouse Burned
Leavenworth County Lost a [sic] of 1871 by Fire Early This Morning.
LEAVENWORTH, Kas., March 22. - Fire which started at 1 o'clock this morning practically destroyed the courthouse of Leavenworth County. All the county records were burned. The building was built at a cost of $100,000 in 1871.
The fire started in the west side of the building in the first floor. It quickly spread all over that floor and to the top floors. The flames were fanned by a high wind which carried the sparks over the town.
The building was nearly a block long and three stories high. It was built of stone. The building was between Third and Fourth streets on Walnut.
From 7 to 9 o'clock last night two men were at work oiling the floor in the office of the clerk of the district court. The fire was discovered by William Wissler, the watchman, and the alarm turned in by him. It is supposed that a match dropped by one of the workmen may have started a small blaze. The fire soon spread from the clerk's office to the tower containing the clock. By the time the firemen and citizens arrived the building was full of smoke and flames and no one daired enter to carry out any of the records.
The Kansas City Star, Kansas City, MO, 22 Mar 1911
- Leavenworth National Cemetery, Leavenworth BillionGraves
- Mount Muncie Cemetery, Lansing BillionGraves
- Congregational Cemetery, Linwood BillionGraves
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Early migration routes to and from Leavenworth County, Kansas Genealogy for European and African American settlers included:
During the Civil War men from this county enlisted in the 15th Regiment, Kansas Cavalry, Companies C, F, L, and K.
- Leavenworth County, Kansas Obituary Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com. From Various Funeral Homes in the Leavenworth, Lansing, Fairmount, Basehor, and Tonanoxie areas.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Leavenworth County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in Oregon National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/oreg/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- National Park Service, "(Auto Tour Route) Maps" in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).
- National Park Service, "Auto Tour Route Maps" in Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/mopi/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).