Lee County, Illinois Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 15:50, 5 July 2011 by Dcragun (regiment link)
|Lee County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 27, 1839|
|Address|| P.O. Box 329|
Dixon, IL 61021
|Named for: Richard Henry Lee|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Lee County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Lee Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Lee County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Lee County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Lee County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Lee County.
- - 34th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies C and D.
- - 89th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company I.
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Lee County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 195. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.