Leon County, Texas Genealogy
Adopted by TXGenWeb Leon County
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Leon County Courthouse
PO Box 98
Centerville, TX 75833-0098
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage records from 1885, probate records from 1846,
court and land records
The original Courthouse and County Seat was at Leona. It was organized July 13, 1846. The first court was held at the home of Moses Campbell and then a log courthouse was built. After a heated battle, which included the killing of one man and the wounding of another, the County Seat was moved to Centerville in October 1850.
Named for: This county was named for Martin de Leon, a native of Tamaulipas, Mexico who was born in 1765.
1885--A fire on the night of November 9, 1885 destroyed the courthouse. After the ashes and debris were cleared away, it was found that the brick remained in good condition and that the brick and two large safes left standing could be refurbished. Many records were lost and I do not know what the contents of the safes were. Most of the records for the county were destroyed. 
Places / Localities
- Buffalo, located near the Freestone County line, is the largest community in Leon Co.
- Centerville, the County Seat
- Hilltop Lakes
- Red Branch
- A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas, 1883. Digital book on line from the Portal to Texas History.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Marriage Records Brides
1895 - 1910 and various years indexed by brides
- Marriage Records Grooms
1895 - 1910 and various years indexed by grooms
Societies and Libraries
Leon Co. Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 400
Centerville, TX 75833
Hours of operation: 1PM to 4PM Monday through Friday
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Leon County, Texas. Page 668 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Centerville, TX Leon County Courthouse Fire, Nov 1885 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17828/centerville-tx-leon-county-courthouse-fire-nov-1885