Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Lewis County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 2, 1806|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American Research
- 5.2 Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Genealogy
- 5.8 History
- 5.9 Land
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Miscellaneous
- 5.14 Newspaper
- 5.15 Obituaries
- 5.16 Probate
- 5.17 Vital Records
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Lewis County's civil records start the following years:
*Many years between 1852 and 1911 are missing
There has been no boundary changes since the county was formed.
|Bald Point (hist.)||Emerson||Kirkville||Rugless|
|Buena Vista||Epworth||Mount Vernon (hist.)||Saint Paul|
|Burtonville||Fearisville||Nashtown||Saint Marys (hist.)|
|Clarksburg||Glen Springs||Poplar Flat||Tannery|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Lewis Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Lewis County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Lewis County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Lewis County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Linkpendium Cemeteries
- Lewis County Cemeteries
- Lewis Co. Kentucky 1810 Federal Census Index
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Lewis Counrty Ky Court of Justice
- State Board of Elections-Kentucky County Clerks Scroll down the page or use index at top to go to desired county.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Owens] Owens, David Hatfield. Owens Family of Virginia (Richmond, King George, Stafford, Prince William, Fauquier Counties) and Kentucky (Mason, Lewis, Fleming, Bracken, Mercer, Boyle Counties). Ann Arbor, Mich.: D.H. Owens, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2od 1991
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- 1895 Atlas-Lewis County Kentucky
Army & Air Corp World II Casulty List
Lewis County Kentucky World War II Casulties Army and Air Force
List of Revolutionary War Pensioners
Soldiers of the Great War, Fallen Kentucky Soldiers in WWI, Lewis County
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
Societies and Libraries
- Family History Library Catalog
- KyGenWeb-Lewis County
- Lewis County Kentucky History & Genealogy
- Lewis County Kentucky Archives Project
- Lewis County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).