Limestone County, Alabama Genealogy
|Limestone County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1818|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
LIMESTONE COUNTY, 310 W. Washington Ave., Athens, AL 35611, (256) 233-6406
1818--Limestone County was created 6 February 1818 from the Cherokee and Chicksaw Cession in 1816.
County seat: Athens 
1862 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
|Belle Mina||Huntsville||Mooresville|| |
For tips on accessing Limestone County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Civil War Battles Fought in Limestone County
- 1864 - January 26 = Athens
- 1864 - October 26-29 = Decatur
Battle information from Civil War Battle Summaries by State, by the Heritage Preservation Services.
Map showing Civil War battles in Alabama.
Societies and Libraries
Limestone County Archives
- Intro to the Archives (http://www.limestonecounty-al.gov/LC_Archives.html)
- Online research of Archives records (follow link from home page)
- Friends of the Archives (http://www.limestonefoa.org/)
Family History Center
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Limestone County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).