Difference between revisions of "Limestone County, Texas Genealogy"
(added newspaper intro)
(Added land intro)
|Line 63:||Line 63:|
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
==== Land ====
==== Local Histories ====
==== Local Histories ====
Revision as of 21:53, 30 March 2013
Guide to Limestone County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Adopted by TXGenWeb Limestone County
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseLimestone County Courthouse
200 West State Street PO Box 350
Groesbeck, Texas 76642
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903, marriage records from 1873, probate records from 1880’s, land records from late 1800’s, court records from 1900’s and military records from 1920’s; Distric Clerk has divorce
1873--Limestone County Courthouse at Springfield and most county records were destroyed by fire in October 1873.
1891--Limestone County Courthouse at Groesbeck destroyed by fire on February 1, 1891. Records were stored in vaults and were not lost. 
1954--The Old Limestone County Courthouse, built in 1891, was destroyed by fire in May 1954. It had not been used as a courthouse since 1924, when the current courthouse was built.
Places / Localities
Cemetery Index from TXGenWeb Limestone Co., TX
Rootsweb.ancestry cemetery project.
Gloria B. Mayfield Cemetery Project for Limestone County, Texas
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Limestone County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas, 1883. Digital book on line from the Portal to Texas History.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Limestone County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Limestone County, Texas. Page 669 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Limestone County: Handbook of Texas Online http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcl09
- GenDisasters.com - Groesbeck, TX Courthouse Fire, Feb 1891 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/7310/groesbeck-tx-courthouse-fire-feb-1891
- GenDisasters.com - Groesbeck, TX Old Courthouse Fire, May 1954 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17517/groesbeck-tx-old-courthouse-fire-may-1954