Difference between revisions of "Liverpool St John, Lancashire Genealogy"
(added info and links)
m (Text replace - "http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census" to "")
|Line 47:||Line 47:|
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
Revision as of 12:19, 29 September 2012
St John Liverpool (Old Haymarket) was built as a chapel of ease within the civil parish boundaries of St Nicholas Liverpool. It was erected in 1784.
St John's Gardens is a memorial park in Liverpool, England, located behind St George's Hall. It takes its name from St John's Church which stood on the site from 1783 until 1887. The terraced gardens, laid out by Thomas Shelmerdine, the City Surveyor, opened in 1904. It is part of the William Brown Street conservation area.
The churchyard is a most significant place in the city's history. In the year it was completed, St John’s served one of the most crowded and poorest areas of the city. Mid-1780’s Burial records indicate the degree of abject poverty to be found locally. Nearly one-in-two of the deaths that occurred were of children whilst in only one–in-four cases were people able to fund their own, or a relative’s, funeral. One quarter of burials were of paupers, two thirds of them from the Poorhouse.
St John's churchyard was closed for burials on 11th June 1865, 82,491 bodies having been interred in the grounds. St John's Church was closed under the terms of the Liverpool City Churches Act 1897 The last Sunday service took place in St John's on 27th March 1898.
The records of this church indicate Liverpool's Black History as many entries refer either to mariners or slaves with references to Africa West indies and Guyana.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Transcripts for this parish are available.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Deposited registers Liverpool Record Office Ref No 283 JOH
Early Registers 1767 - 1812
Baptism Registers 1813 - 1898
Marriage Registers 1785 - 1898
Burial Registers 1813 - 1865
Banns Registers 1858 - 1866
Grave Register 19th century
Bishop's transcripts for St. John's Church, Liverpool Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
Lancashire Record Office: DRL 2/131-159
Burials, 1773-1780. FHL BRITISH Film 1068946 Item 5
Burials, 1781-1806, baptisms, 1783-1806; marriages, 1785-1806. FHL BRITISH Film 1068947
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1808-1819. FHL BRITISH Film 1068948
Baptisms, marriages and burials, 1820-1829. FHL BRITISH Film 1068949
Baptisms and burials, 1830-1852, marriages, 1830-1841. FHL BRITISH Film 1068950
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 104-118. Adapted. Date accessed: 02 July 2010.