Livingston County, Illinois Genealogy
|Livingston County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 27, 1837|
|Address|| 112 West Madison Street|
Pontiac, IL 61764
815-844-2006, ext. 128
|Named for: Edward Livingston|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The county was named for Edward Livingston, a lawyer and statesman. Mayor of New York City. Representive in Congress from New York and Louisian. United States Senator from Louisiana, Secretary of State under President Jackson and United States Minister to France.
County seat: Pontiac 
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Illinois State Universtiy
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System - Local Governmental Records Listings Arranged by County
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Livingston County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Livingston Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Livingston County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Livingston County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
1857-1865 Swamp Land Records - IRAD-ISU
1859-1946 Chattel Morgage Record - IRAD-ISU
1862-1919 Military Discharge Record -IRAD-ISU
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Livingston County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Livingston County.
- - 39th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C.
- - 44th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C.
- - 52nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company D.
- - 53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company G.
1837-1958 Probate Case Files - IRAD-ISU
1917-1926 Probate Docket Index - IRAD-ISU
1898-1995 School Pupil Diploma Record - IRAD-ISU
1898-1921 School Student Permanent Record, High School - IRAD-ISU
1935-1972 School Pupil Diploma Record, Prison - IRAD-ISU
1872-1876 Tax Lists, Delinquent -IRAD-ISU
1837-1900 Marriage Licenses - IRAD-ISU
1837-1943 Marriage Record - IRAD-ISU
1915-1975 Marraige Record Index - IRAD-ISU
Societies and Libraries
Databases Pertinent to Livingston County
Local Governmental Records Database
Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
Federal Township Plats of Illinois
Livingston County Probate Case Files Index (1837–1958)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Livingston County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 195. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.