Livingston County, Illinois Genealogy
|Livingston County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 27, 1837|
|Address|| 112 West Madison Street|
Pontiac, IL 61764
815-844-2006, ext. 128
|Named for: Edward Livingston|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Archives and Libraries
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
|Beginning Dates for Livingston County Records|
The county was named for Edward Livingston, a lawyer and statesman. Mayor of New York City. Representive in Congress from New York and Louisian. United States Senator from Louisiana, Secretary of State under President Jackson and United States Minister to France.
County seat: Pontiac 
- 1831-1837 LaSalle
- 1831-1837 McLean
- 1826-1837 Vermilion
- 1827-1831 Tazewell
- 1821-1827 Fayette
- 1823-1826 Edgar
- 1819-1823 Clark
- 1816-1819 Crawford
- 1815-1816 Edwards
- 1812-1815 Madison
- 1801-1812 St. Clair
- 1790-1801 Knox, Northwest Territory
Places / Localities
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Illinois State Universtiy
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System - Local Governmental Records Listings Arranged by County
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Livingston County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Livingston Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Livingston County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Livingston County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
1857-1865 Swamp Land Records - IRAD-ISU. Available through the Family History Library FHL Film 1689002
1859-1946 Chattel Morgage Record - IRAD-ISU
Land records available through the Family History Library:
1853-1889 General index to deeds FHL Film 1401697 Item 3.
1853-1921 Deed Records FHL 451136 first film
1862-1919 Military Discharge Record -IRAD-ISU
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Livingston County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Livingston County.
- - 39th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C.
- - 44th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C.
- - 52nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company D.
- - 53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company G.
Military Record available at the Family History Library
Patriotic Roster of Livingston County, Illinois. by J.B.Parsons. FHL Book 977.361 M23p
Soldier's Discharge Records from Livingston County, Illinois. Recorder FHL Film 1392962 Item 3. First film of 3
1854-1906 Naturalization Records, Illinois. Livingston County Court. FHL film1321643-1321646 Indexed.
1837-1958 Probate Case Files - IRAD-ISU
1917-1926 Probate Docket Index - IRAD-ISU
Probate records available through the Family History Library
1837-1905 Probate Records FHL film 1321647-1321649
1845-1891 Probate Records FHL film 1323368-1323377
Online Probate Records:
1819-1970 Probate Records, 1819-1970
1898-1995 School Pupil Diploma Record - IRAD-ISU
1898-1921 School Student Permanent Record, High School - IRAD-ISU
1935-1972 School Pupil Diploma Record, Prison - IRAD-ISU
1872-1876 Tax Lists, Delinquent -IRAD-ISU
1856-1900 Birth Certificates - IRAD-ISU
1856-1903 Birth Records - IRAD-ISU
1866-1950 Birth Record Index, Delayed - IRAD-ISU
Birth records available through the Family History Library
1878-1900 Register of births and birth cetificates, Birth index, 1848-1983 FHL films 1392963 First film of 12.
1837-1900 Marriage Licenses - IRAD-ISU
1837-1943 Marriage Record - IRAD-ISU
1915-1975 Marraige Record Index - IRAD-ISU
Marriage records available through the Family History Library
1837-1922 Marriaage registers and certificates, FHL film 1392959 first film of 33 films.
1876-1923 Applications from marriage licenses. FHL film 1401627 item 2-4 first film of 11
1877-1900 Death Record - IRAD-ISU. Availble through the Family History Library FHL Collection item 2-3
Societies and Libraries
Databases Pertinent to Livingston County
Local Governmental Records Database
Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
Federal Township Plats of Illinois
Livingston County Probate Case Files Index (1837–1958)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Livingston County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 195. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.