Llanddeiniol, Ceredigion

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 00:55, 24 April 2013 by SandraShupe (talk | contribs) (add info in links)

Jump to: navigation, search

Wales Gotoarrow.png Cardiganshire Gotoarrow.png Cardiganshire Parishes Gotoarrow.pngLlanddeiniol

History

"LLANDDEINIOL (LLAN-DDEINIOL), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (S. by W.) from Aberystwith, containing 254 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Daniel, is situated on the shore of Cardigan bay, and on the turnpike road from Aberystwith to Cardigan. From a small brook near it, which runs into the river Gwyre, it was anciently called Carog, under which appellation it formerly constituted a prebend in the collegiate church of Llandewy-Brevi, rated in the king's books at £4. The surrounding scenery is not characterized by any peculiarity of features, though from the higher grounds an extensive view is obtained over the bay of Cardigan and the country adjacent. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St. David's, endowed with £ 1000 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the family of Price of Knighton. The church, which is pleasantly situated on the brow of a hill, is a small ancient edifice, consisting only of a nave, divided by a double screen into two parts, the eastern of which forms a chancel: the font, which is octangular, is supported on a circular shaft, and placed in the north-western angle of the nave. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £54.2." [From Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of Wales 1833] For more information see Llanddeiniol, Cardiganshire at genuki.org.uk


Records


Civil Registration


Church Records


Census Records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464302.



Probate Records


Maps and Gazetteers

Web Sites