A guide to genealogy in Llanddeiniol, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; etc.
LLANDDEINIOL (LLAN-DDEINIOL), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of ILAR, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (S. by W.) from Aberystwith. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Daniel, is situated on the shore of Cardigan bay, and on the turnpike road from Aberystwith to Cardigan. From a small brook near it, which runs into the river Gwyre, it was anciently called Carog, under which appellation it formerly constituted a prebend in the collegiate church of Llandewy-Brevi. The surrounding scenery is not characterized by any peculiarity of features, though from the higher grounds an extensive view is obtained over the bay of Cardigan and the country adjacent. The church, which is pleasantly situated on the brow of a hill, is a small ancient edifice, consisting only of a nave, divided by a double screen into two parts, the eastern of which forms a chancel. There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists; and two Sunday schools are held.
For more information see Llanddeiniol Genuki.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464302.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Llanddeiniol at Vision of Britain
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 505-511. Adapted. Date accessed: 17 January 2014.