Llano County, Texas Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
The first settlers arrived in 1847.
1880--Courthouses and many county records were destroyed by fires in December 1873 and October 1880.
Courthouse at Llano.
LLANO, Tex., Jan. 23.---At 5 o'clock this morning the courthouse was burned to the ground and everything totally destroyed except the papers and records of the clerk's office. The building was one of the handsomest in west Texas, completed in 1885, cost $40,000 and was insured for 21,000. The fire originated in the sheriff's office, whether by accident or incendiary is not known.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 24 Jan 1892
Courthouse Tower Burns.
LLANO, Texas, Sept 8 (AP). -- The tower of the courthouse burned early Thursday, but firemen prevented the blaze from spreading to other parts of the building. The loss was estimated at approximately $4000. The cause of the fire has not been determined.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 9 Sept 1932
Llano County Courthouse
The Llano County Courthouse, located in the middle of Llano's historic square, was built in 1893. It was designed in a Romanesque Revival style by A.O. Watson and Jacob Larmour, with an exterior made of sandstone, marble, and granite. The interior of the courthouse was damaged by fire in 1932 and again in 1952
Places / Localities
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- TEXAS GenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).