Logan County, Illinois Genealogy
|Logan County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 15, 1839|
|Address|| P.O. Box 278|
Lincoln, IL 62656
|Named for: John Logan|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
|Beginning Dates for Logan County Records|
Logan county was named for Dr. John Logan, a pioneer phhysician, and father of General John A. Logan.
- 1839--Logan County was created 15 February 1839, from Sangamon County. County seats: Postville, Mt. Pulaski, Lincoln 
- 1827-1839 Tazewell
- 1821-1839 Sagngamon
- 1817-1821 Bond
- 1812-1817 Madison
- 1790-1812 St. Clair
- 1790-1801 Knox, Northwest Territory
April 15, 1857 -- Courthouse burned and virtually all records were destroyed.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
Historical Place Names
Aetna, Albany, Allenville, Altic, Atlanta, Athol, Atlanta, Atteberry
Beason, Bell, Big Prairie, Bloomingdale, Boren, Broadwell, Burton View
Camden, Camp Latham, Chester, Chestervale, Chestnut, Clay, Cornland, Corwin, Crohurst, CroHurst Station
East Lincoln, Elk Hart City, Elk Heart City, Elkhart, Elkhart City, Emden, Eminence, Evans
Gale, Georgetown, Gilchrist, Gillett, Gold Springs, Griggs
Hamilton, Harness, Hartsburg, Hartsburgh, Hartwig, Hurlbut, Hurricane Point
Johnsons, Johnsons Siding
Kickapoo, Kickapoo Siding, Kings, Kruger
Laenna, Lake Fork, Latham, Lawndale, Layman, Lee, Leesburgh, Lincoln, Lincoln Hill, Long Point, Lucas
Mackey, Madison, Martin, Middletown, Mt. Fulcher, Mt. Hope, Mt. Joy, Mt. Pulaski, Music, Musick's Ferry
Narita, New Castle, New Holland, North Lincoln
Oran, Orndorff, Orvil
P & N Junction, Peifer, Peoria District Junction, Perry, Postville, Prairie Creek, Pulaski
Rhody, Richmond Grove
Salt Creek, San Jose, Scroggin, Sheridan, Skelton
Warick, West Lincoln, Wilmert, Woodlawn, Woolf, Wyatt
Source: Illinois Place Names. Compiled by James N. Adams, Illinois Historical Society, 1989. Edited by William E. Keller with a new addendum by Lowell M. Volkel
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Illinois State Universtiy
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System - Local Governmental Records Listings Arranged by County
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Logan County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Logan Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Logan County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Logan County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
1857-1944 Circuit court Case Files IRAD-ISU
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Logan County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Logan County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company B.
- - 4th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company H.
- - 10th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company G.
- - 14th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company D.
- - 7th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies D, E and H.
- - 28th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company K.
- - 32nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
- - 38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company F.
- - 68th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company H.
- - 73rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company F.
- - 106th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies B, C, D, E, F, G, H and I.
- - 108th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company H.
- - 145th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (100 days, 1864), Companies D and H.
- - 155th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield: Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, 1962). Other libraries with this book. FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im.
1894-1964 Probate Inventory Record IRAD-ISU
1931-1963 Probate Sale Record, Personal Property IRAD-ISU
1897-1901 School Pupil Roster and inventory record, Girls Industrial's IRAD-ISU
1920-1948 School Pupil Diploma Records IRAD-ISU
1857-1865 Marriage Record Index IRAD-ISU
1857-1901 Marriage Record IRAD-ISU
1891-1899 Burial Registers (Lincoln) IRAD-ISU
Societies and Libraries
Logan County Genealogical and Historical Society, 114 N. Chicago Street, Lincoln, IL 62656 (217) 732-3200
Databases Pertinent to Logan County
Local Governmental Records Database
Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
Federal Township Plats of Illinois
Logan County Circuit Court Criminal Case Files Index (1857–1945)
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Logan County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Logan County ILGenWeb
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 196. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.