For access to the 1841 to 1911 London censuses, see the England Census article.
London Records at the Family History Library describes London census holdings, parish-by-parish, available at that facility. Click here to see a list of the census surname indexes for local places and parishes in this county.
Smaller Local Census Surname Indexes at Family History Library
A variety of lists of historic residents of London have been preserved. Most list adult taxable males. A few identify family units. The Domesday Book (1086) does not include the City of London.
- 1292, 1319 - Two Early London Subsidy Rolls (1292, 1319), courtesy: British History Online
- 1332 - Finance and trade under Edward III - The London lay subsidy of 1332, courtesy: British History Online (Local historical study, rather than a transcript of names.)
- 1541, 1582 - Two Tudor subsidy rolls for the city of London - 1541 and 1582, courtesy: British History Online
- 1589 - London Subsidy Roll, c.1589, courtesy: Family History Archives (see pages 148-164)
- 1642 - City of London War Loans 1642, courtesy: British History Online
- 1662 - London Hearth Tax: City of London, 1662, courtesy: British History Online
- 1664 - London Hearth Tax: Westminster 1664, courtesy: British History Online
- 1666 - London Hearth Tax: City of London and Middlesex, 1666, courtesy: British History Online
- 1693/1694 - Four Shillings In The Pound Aid 1693/4 - The City of London, the City of Westminster, and Metropolitan Middlesex, courtesy: British History Online
- 1695 - London Inhabitants Within the Walls 1695, courtesy: British History Online
- 1695 - London Marriage Duty Assessment 1695, courtesy: British History Online
- 1696 - Association Oath Rolls for City of London Livery Companies, 1696, courtesy: British Origins ($); also available in book form: FHL Book 942.21 B4r v. 40.
Gibson identifies additional London census substitutes:
- Gibson, J.S.W. and Heather Creaton. Lists of Londoners. Bury, UK: Federation of Family History Societies in Association with the Centre for Metropolitan History, c1999. FHL Book 942.1/L1 D43g 1999.
- Colin R. Chapman, Pre-1841 Censuses and Population Listings in the British Isles, 5th ed. (Dursley, UK: Lochin Publishing, 2002), 65-74.
- Cliff Webb, My Ancestors were Londoners: A Guide to London Sources for Family Historians (London: Society of Genealogists, 2009), 11-13. Webb identifies the repositories and references for each census return.
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Domesday Book," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesday_Book, accessed 13 January 2012.