London Family History Centre
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
[[Image:FamilySearch Libraries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (sometimes referred to as the Mormon Church). There are more than 4500 Family History Centres around the world with over 100 in the UK, but the 12 FamilySearch Libraries and the London Centre are larger and have more resources on site.
- 1 Centre Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Centre Resources
- 4 Centre Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Centre
- 8 References
Centre Contacts and Hours
Location & Map: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/where.htm
Address: The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, United Kingdom
- Kew Gardens on the District Line to Richmond is the closest Tube station
- Parking is available onsite
- A reader's ticket is not required to use the Centre's resources
- Cafeteria and lockers are available
- A free internet cafe is available to all Archives patrons
- There is an in-house bookshop with extensive selection of family and general history titles
- An excellent list of local bed and breakfasts is available at http://www.kewaccommodation.com/
Phone: 020 7589 8561
- Tues and Thurs: 9 am to 7 pm
- Wed, Fri and Sat: 9 am to 5 pm
- Closed Sun and Mon (plus the Sat. of bank holiday weekends)
See The National Archives' list of closure dates.
Calendar and Events
Class Schedule latter 2013
Sep 24 English Burial and Cemetery Records at the London Family History Centre. Sharon Hintze
Oct 01 US Sources from FamilSearch.org. Paul Smart
Oct 08 English Probate Records at the London Family History Centre. Sharon Hintze
Oct 15 Treasures from the Parish Chest at the London Family History Centre. Paul Smart
Oct 22 Ten Reasons to visit the London Family History Centre. Sharon Hintze
Oct 29 Jamaican Recources from FamilySearch.org. Sharon Tomlin
Nov 05 Was Your Ancestor a Mormon? Sharon Hintze
Nov 12 Genealogical Books Online. Paul Smart
Nov 19 Irish Land Records at the London Family History Center. Sharon Hintze
Nov 26 British Military Records Online. Paul Smart
Staff Training Meetings
The London Family History Centre has an onsite collection of about 60,000 microfilms from the Salt Lake Family History Library collection and these are primarily records of the U.K., Ireland, and locations where the British were, e.g. The Caribbean. This collection is expanding regularly. Microfilms not in the onsight collection can be ordered from the FamilySearch Catalog on http://www.familysearch.org for a relatively small charge. The Centre also has 25 computers for patron use with websites such as FamilySearch, the 1911 Census for England and Wales, FreeBMD, GENUKI, and subscriptions to Ancestry, The National Archives, FindMyPast, amongst others. Running on the internal server and available on each of its computers are databases which include but are not resticted to, the British Vital Records Index - 2nd Edition, the 1881 British Census, the 1881 Canadian Census, the 1880 U.S. Census, the Scottish Church Records database (10 million names indexed from parish registers before Civil Registration started in Scotland), the Mormon Immigration Index and the Pedigree Resource File.
- London Family History Centre Catalogue: Discover what resources we offer. Browse or search.
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- (List additional collections you have such as the types of books and microfilm you have on indefinite loan; though you will not want to list every single item you have. Just give visitors to this page a general idea of your resources.)
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Ancestry (International Edition)
- British Library Newspapers
- Deceased Online
- Jamaican Family Search
- Origins Network
- TNA Documents Online
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view this collection using the portal.
Hardware and Equipment
- The London Family History Centre has 23 computers, 20 microfilm readers, and one microfiche reader available for Centre patrons to use at no cost. Other equipment includes two scanners for digitizing microfilm/fiche images for printing or for uploading to a memory drive at a minimal cost.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
- Guildhall Library
- London Metropolitan Archives
- The National Archives
- Society of Genealogists Library
(insert links here)
Volunteer at the Centre
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
- 'Computer and Subscription Resources,' London Family History Centre, http://www.londonfhc.org/, accessed 28 July 2012.