Long Compton, Warwickshire Genealogy
Long Compton or Compton (Long),is a village and a parish in the district of Chipping-Norton and county of Warwick. The village stands near the boundary with Oxford and Gloucester, it is 5 miles SSE of Shipston-on-Stour, and 6 miles E of Moreton railway station; it has a post office under Shipston-on-Stour. The parish includes also the hamlet of Weston. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels.
Long Compton St Peter, St Paul
It is believed that St. Augustine preached on this site in 597AD. The present building dates from the 13th century, with significant additions and alterations over the years. The lych gate has a thatched roof the survivor of a row of cottages which formed the entrance to the church.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464172.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72). Date accessed and adapted: 14 November 2013.