Louisiana, United States Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 08:43, 6 April 2011 by Cottrells (reduce width of adoption sign to fit into sidebar)
United States Louisiana
|Louisiana Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
Welcome to Louisiana, The Bayou State
Did You Know?
- The Family History Library has the United States federal censuses of Louisiana for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930. The 1890 census was destroyed, but there is a Union veterans schedule and a published index to it that is available at the Family History Library. The population schedule for the Ascension Parish 1890 census is at the Division of Archives, Records Management, and History, and an index has been published and is at the Family History Library.
- Louisiana State University Special Collections in the Hill Memorial Library have the most complete collection of maps for the state. The Family History Library has a few historical maps, including maps of early land districts. Ward maps for New Orleans (1829, 1834, 1845, 1854, and 1898) are on FHL film 1377700 or fiche 6016695-99.
- The Louisiana State Archives has microfilms of New Orleans Passenger Lists Judy Riffel's book "A Guide to Genealogical Research at the Louisiana State Archives" is available by writing to Le Comite des Archives de la Louisiane, Inc. P.O. Box 1547, Baton Rouge LA 70832-1547.
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Louisiana GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- BYU Research Outline for Louisiana
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by: