Most family organizations, historical societies, and genealogical societies publish magazines and newsletters. These often include:
- Family genealogies and pedigrees.
- Transcripts of local courthouse records, church records, family Bibles, and cemetery records.
- Helpful articles on research methodology.
- Information about local records, archives, and services.
- Book advertisements and book reviews.
- Research advertisements.
- Queries or requests for information about specific ancestors, which can help you contact other interested researchers.
The major genealogical periodicals for Louisiana are:
- L'Heritage. 1978-. Published by the St. Bernard Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 271, Chalmette, LA 70044-0271. FHL book 976.3 B2s. Website
- The Louisiana Genealogical Register. 1954-. Published by the Louisiana Genealogical and Historical Society, P.O. Box 82060, Baton Rouge, LA 70884-2060. FHL film 1704156-58; book 976.3 B2gr. This has a cumulative subject index to 1974. Website
- The New Orleans Genesis. 1962-. Published by the Genealogical Research Society of New Orleans, P.O. Box 51791, New Orleans, LA 70151. FHL book 976.335 B2n; film 1704156 item 15, vol.3, no.12, Sept. 1964.Website
- Terrebonne Life Lines. 1982-. Published by the Terrebonne Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 295, Sta. 2, Houma, LA 70360. FHL book 976.341 D25t. Website
See the wiki page United States Periodicals for more information.