Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Lowndes County; PO Box 684; Columbus, MS 39703; Ph. 662.329.5805 Details: (Dept of Archives & Hist has m, div, pro, ct & land rec 1830-1900 & Bible rec)
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Lowndes County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lowndes County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company I - Perkins’ Company
- - 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry [became the 48th Regiment, Missippi Infantry]
- Company - Blewett’s, aka Blewett’s Rifles, & aka "The Blewett’s"
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Hunt’s Company
- Company F - Harrington’s Company
- Company H - Richards’ Company
- Company I - Johnston’s Company
- Company K - Lipscomb’s Company
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company D - Lowndes Southrons
- Company E - Southern Avengers
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company E - Lowndes Southrons
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Prairie Guards
- - 48th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry [from the 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry]
- Company C - Blewett’s Company, aka Blewett’s Rifles, & aka "The Blewett’s"
- Company K - Capt. J.H. Fields’ Company [subsequently became Co. F, 8th Confederate Cavalry]
- - 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company E [sic] - Abert’s Company
- Company F [sic] - Fields’ Company
- Company G - Matthews’ Company
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).