Lowton, Lancashire Genealogy
Lowton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1734 from chapelry in Winwick,_Lancashire Ancient Parish.
LOWTON (St. Luke), a parish, in the union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 7 miles (N.) from Warrington; containing, with the township of Golborne, 3807 inhabitants. This place gave name to a family who subsequently adopted the surname of Kenyon from their possessions in a neighbouring township. An heiress of this family brought the estate to the Haydocks, and an heiress of the latter brought it to the Leghs. The Langtons and Fleetwoods have also been proprietors of land here. Lowton was formerly a township in the parish of Winwick, but was, with Golborne, formed into a separate parish by act of parliament in 1845. The parish comprises 3395 acres, of which 1825 are in Lowton township, one-seventh of the latter area being arable, and nearly all the remainder of it pasture; the surface is tolerably level, and the soil partly clay and partly loam. The Manchester and Liverpool railway runs on the south, and at Golborne is a station on the NorthUnion railway. The living is a rectory, with a net income of £250; patron, the Earl of Derby: the next presentation, however, will be exercised by the present Rector of Winwick, should a vacancy occur during his incumbency: there are 55 acres of glebe and a glebehouse. The tithes of Lowton township have been commuted for £107. The church, built in 1733 as a chapel, is a cruciform structure with a bell-tower. A school at Lowton, with a house for the master, is endowed with about three acres of land, called the School lands, producing £20 per annum; and about £60 per annum, arising from houses and land bequeathed by William Leadbeater in 1685, are distributed among the poor of Lowton and Golborne townships in equal portions.—See Golborne.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 182-186. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51122 Date accessed: 19 July 2010.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire_BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Bishop's transcripts for Golborne and Lowton Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston.
Baptisms and burials 1854-1872 (Golborne); baptisms and burials 1845-1886 (Lowton). FHL BRITISH Film 1469067 Item 2
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.