Lyman County, South Dakota Genealogy
Lyman County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Lyman County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1873|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Lyman County Courthouse
PO Box 235;
Kennebec, SD 57544
Register of Deeds has birth records from 1905, death
records from 1920, burial and land records; County
Treasurer has marriage records from 1905; Clerk Court
has divorce, probate and court records from 1880
- 1873--Lyman County was created 8 January 1873 from Gregory County and unorganized territory.
County seat: Kennebec 
The Lower Brule Indian Reservation is located in Lyman County.
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at Record Search
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Lyman County, South Dakota, p.626
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).