Macclesfield St Michael, Cheshire Genealogy
Situated in the ancient Domesday Hundred of Hamestan, the Domesday Book lists Macclesfield as "Maclesfeld", whilst in 1183 it was referred to as "Makeslesfeld". It is thought that Macclesfield got its name from "Michael's field" - referring to St. Michael, as in St. Michael's church. The English Place-Name Society gives it name as being derived from the Old English for Maccels' open country.
Later, Macclesfield was granted a borough charter by the Lord Edward, the future King Edward I, in 1261. There is evidence that the borough had originally been founded by Ranulf III, Earl of Chester, early in the thirteenth century. The parish church of St Michael was built in 1278, an extension of a chapel built in approximately 1220.
The borough had a weekly market, and two annual fairs: the Barnaby fair, was on St Barnabas day (11 June), the other on the feast of All Saints (1 November)
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Macclesfield (1837-1998)
- Cheshire East (post 1998)
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
The ancient parish which included Macclesfield was Prestbury (see history of the parish)
Macclesfield, St. Edward the Confessor (Roman Catholic), London Road. Built in 1939.
Macclesfield, Baptist Chapel, Calemine Street, rebuilt in 1873 in St. George Street.
Macclesfield, Friends' Meeting House (Quaker), Mill Street.See Macclesfield Society of Friends, Cheshire
Macclesfield, Methodist (Mount Tabor) Chapel, Tabor Street. Built in 1861, closed in 1966. See Macclesfield Mount Tabor Methodist Chapel, Cheshire
Macclesfield United Reformed Church, Cheshire includes Townley Street Chapel, Roe Street Chapel and Park Green Congregational Church
Macclesfield, Unitarian Chapel, Parsonage Street. Built in 1806, closed in 1887.
Macclesfield, Spiritualist Free Chapel, Cumberland Street. Built in 1879.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241256.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above