Macon County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Macon County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Macon County Courthouse
Franklin, NC 28734-3005
Register of Deeds has marriage and land records
Clerk Superior Court has probate and court records Macon County was recreated from Haywood in 1828
Many records are missing.
- Oconee County, South Carolina
- Rabun County, Georgia
- Towns County, Georgia
Many of Macon County's cemeteries have been surveyed, and the surveys placed online: http://www.usgennet.org/usa/region/southeast/ncmacon/cemeteries.html
The Macon County Historical Society is planning to release a compilation of the county's cemetery surveys in book form.
- Macon County Census Resources - via the NCGenWeb Project
For tips on accessing Macon County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Macon County students at NC Colleges - list of names of students with hometowns in Macon county provided in various yearbooks; via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Macon County Wills, 1830-1966 - index of wills held at the NC State Library
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Macon County, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Macon County, North Carolina. Page 510 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "Nathaniel Macon", Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).