Madison County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to Madison County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 5, 1811|
|Address|| Madison County Courthouse|
91 Albany Avenue
Danielsville, GA 30633-0147
Madison County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death, burial
and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has
divorce, court and land records from 1812
Madison County has not had any courthouse fires and deeds, wills, marriage records, Superior Court minutes and Inferior Court minutes from 1812 are available.
Places / Localities
Danielsville is the county seat and other towns include Carlton, Colbert, Comer, Hull and Ila.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- 1790-1939 - Jones Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church Baptism Index 1790-1939. Batch C713261 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1858-1903 - Jones Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church Marriage Index 1858-1903. Batch M713261 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Madison County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Tabor, Paul. History of Madison County, Georgia. No Place Given: 1974.
- 1885-1886 Marriages (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers
McRee, Fred W. Jr. Madison County, Georgia, Deaths, 1854-1925. Dahlonega, Georgia: Fred W. Mcree Jr., 2011.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Madison County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Madison County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
McRee, Fred W. Jr. Madison County, Georgia, Abstracts of Wills, 1813-1922. Dahlonega, Georgia: Fred W. McRee Jr., 2012.
- Wills 1812-1841 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Annual Returns, Book A, 1816-1826 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Annual Returns, Book B, 1826-1830 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Annual Returns, Book C, 1830-1834 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Annual Returns, Book D, 1834-1837 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Annual Returns, Book E, 1837-1841 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Inventories, Appraisements, Bills of Sale, Book B, 1813-1829 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Inventories, Appraisements, Bills of Sale, Book D, 1841-1857 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Administrators and Guardians 1818-1888 Georgia Pioneers
Microfilmed tax records are available at the Georgia Archives for the years 1831, 1817, 1820, 1821, 1824, 1825, 1830, 1832, 1833, 1838, 1840, 1843, 1848, 1849, 1859, 1853, 1853, 1854, 1855, 1857, 1859, 1860, 1861.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
The State of George did not require the registration of births and deaths until 1919, although a few cities began keeping records earlier.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1812-1908 - Madison County, GA Marriage Index 1812-1908 on-line. These records were copied from an index compiled by the county clerk from the original marriage books.
- 1812-1889 - Madison County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1812-1889. Batch M713271 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1889-1895 - Madison County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1889-1895. Batch M713272 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Madison County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Madison County, Georgia. Page 158 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.