Difference between revisions of "Madison County, Indiana Genealogy"
(Added Indiana Tax Intro and Indiana Tax End)
(Added family History Center link)
|Line 159:||Line 159:|
==== Family History Centers ====
==== Family History Centers ====
*[[Family History ]]
[[Family History Center ]]
==== Libraries ====
==== Libraries ====
Revision as of 21:34, 20 July 2013
Guide to Madison County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||January 4, 1823|
|Address|| Madison County Courthouse|
16 E 9th
Anderson, IN 46016
Madison County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Record Loss
- 3 Resources
- 3.1 Bible Records
- 3.2 Biographies
- 3.3 Business Records
- 3.4 Cemeteries
- 3.5 Census Records
- 3.6 Church Records
- 3.7 Court Records
- 3.8 Directories
- 3.9 Emigration and Immigration
- 3.10 Gazetteers
- 3.11 Genealogy
- 3.12 Land and Property
- 3.13 History
- 3.14 Maps
- 3.15 Military Records
- 3.16 Newspapers
- 3.17 Obituaries
- 3.18 Occupations
- 3.19 Probate Records
- 3.20 Public Records
- 3.21 Repositories
- 3.22 School Records
- 3.23 Taxation
- 3.24 Vital Records
- 3.25 Voting Registration
- 3.26 Web Sites
- 3.27 References
December 1880 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Cemeteries of Madison County - Linkpendium
- Emment (Doty) Cemetery
- Fausset Cemetery
- West Maplewood Cemetery, Anderson BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Madison County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent Delinquent Census for Madison County, Indiana (1880) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
Emigration and Immigration
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
After land was transferred from the government to private ownership, subsequent transactions were recorded at the courthouse, where records are currently housed.
See Indiana Land and Property for additional information about early Indiana land grants and patents.
- Forkner, John L., and Byron H. Dyson. 1974. Historical sketches and reminiscences of Madison County, Indiana: a detailed history of the early events of the pioneer settlement of the county, and many of the happenings of recent years, as well as a complete history of each township. (Tucson, Arizona: Americana Unlimited.) 977.257 H2fj FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other librariesINTERNETACHIVE Google books
- HARDEN, S. (1874).History of Madison County, Indiana, from 1820 to 1874 giving a general review of principal events, statistical and historical items, derived from official sources. (Markleville, Ind, [s.n.].) 977.257 H2h FHL US/CAN Book other libraries INTERNETACHIVE Google books
- 1973).Portrait and biographical record of Madison and Hamilton counties, Indiana: containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens of the counties, together with biographies and portraits of all the presidents of the United States. (Evansville, Ind, Unigraphic, Inc. ) other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- FORKNER, J. L. R. (1970). History of Madison County, Indiana; a narrative account of its historical progress, its people and its principal interests. (Evansville, Ind, Unigraphic.) other librariesINTERNET ARCHIVE
- Histories of Madison County - Linkpendium
- Family Maps of Madison County, Indiana Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Maps and Gazetteers-Linkpendium
- Veterans in Madison County (1886) (members only database, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- see - Military Records and Histories - Linkpendium
Civil War service men from Madison County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Madison County.
- 2nd Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 5th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry (90th Regiment, Indiana Volunteers), Companies A, and F
- 8th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Companies L, and M
- 8th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company E
- 11th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Companies A, and H
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company I
- 16th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Companies A, and K
- 17th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 18th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
- 19th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Company I
- 34th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, E, and F
- 47th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 53rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 57th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 63rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 75th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company G
- 89th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B
- 101st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, and E
- 105th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company H
- 110th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, G, and I
- 130th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies B, and K
- 140th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 146th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 147th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies D, and F
- 155th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company F
- 28th US Colored Troops, Company F and Addition Recruits for Colored Troops
Civil War Books
- "Military History" Chapter 17 in FORKNER, J. L. R. (1970). History of Madison County, Indiana; a narrative account of its historical progress, its people and its principal interests. (Evansville, Ind, Unigraphic.), (page 283-308, Regiment,Companies, Name's) other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
World War I
World War II
- Roster of Civilian Conservation Corps, Frankton, Madison County, Indiana (1938) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Madison County Courthouse
16 E 9th;
Anderson, IN 46016
County Health Department has birth records from 1891
and death records from 1895.
County Clerk has marriage records from 1884,
divorce, probate and court records from 1880.
County Auditor has land records from 1867.
County Board of Health has school records 1904-1932. 
Family History Centers
The main FamilySearch Center for Madison County, Indiana Genealogy is the
For additional nearby Family History Centers, search online in the [Family History Center directory].
- Students, Teachers and Selected Alumni of Alexandria High School (1930) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Students of Anderson High School (1918, 1923) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Graduates and Teachers of Elwood High School (1927) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Alumni of Markleville High School (1917-1929) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Students of Markleville High School (1930) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Teachers and Trustees of Markleville High School (1930) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Students and Teachers of Pendleton Junior-Senior High School ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Indiana tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties.
For more information see the wiki page Indiana Taxation.
- - see - Vital Record - Linkpendium
- Vital Record - InGenWeb
- Indiana State Digital Archives for Death, E-Publication, Institution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Madison County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Madison County, Indiana 214 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.