Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy
|Madison County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||October 17, 1785|
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American Research
- 5.2 Biographies
- 5.3 Cemeteries
- 5.4 Census
- 5.5 Church
- 5.6 Court
- 5.7 Education
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Miscellaneous
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Obituaries
- 5.16 Probate
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 5.19 Societies and Libraries
- 5.20 Web Sites
- 6 References
Madison County's civil records start the following years:
*Many years between 1852 and 1911 are missing
|Arlington||Crooksville (hist.)||Kingston||Round Hill|
|Bybee||Elliston||Rosedale (hist.)||Valley View|
|College Hill||Happy Landing||Reeds Crossing||Wallaceton|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Madison Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Madison County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Madison County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Madison County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- Berea College Yearbooks - approximately 40 years of yearbooks digitized and available full-text online via the Internet Archive. Years include approximately 1929-1970 (not fully inclusive).
Eastern Kentucky University
- Three Decades of Progress (1936) - a history of the school written by the faculty.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Collins] Collins, Gerald E. William Collins (176*-1848): of North Carolina, Madison County, Kentucky, Shelby County, Indiana and Some of His Descendants. No publication info. FHL 727107[dead link]
- [Crooke] Crooke, B.F. Genealogy of the Crooke and Proctor Families. 1908. FHL Film 873031 Item 5[dead link]
- [Crooke] Ingalls, Osie Alice McDowell. Crooke Family: Account Book of Miss Crooke of Science Hill, Madison County, Kentucky. MSS., National Library, D.A.R. Copy: FHL Film 873031 Item 5[dead link]
- [Embry] Miller, William Harris. The Embry Family of Madison County, Ky. Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.: n.p., 1954. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Francis] Francis: Family Genealogical Data, 1794-1927, Madison County, Kentucky. Typescript. Microfilmed 1982. FHL Fiche 6017745[dead link]
- [Hill] Hill, L. Henry. Genealogy of the Hill Family of Garrard and Madison Counties, Kentucky. Evansville, Ind.: Unigraphic, 1978. FHL Book 929.273 H55d[dead link]
- [Jett] Jett, C. Otis. The Genealogy of the Breathitt, Clay and Madison County, Kentucky Branch of the Jett Family. Georgetown, Ky.: I.L. Jett, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 J51j[dead link]
- [Park] Gum, Nell Marshall Park. Park of Kentucky, 1747-1929: Biographical Sketches and Genealogy of the Descendants of Ebenezer Park, Pioneer of Madison County, Kentucky. Frankfort, Ky.: Gum, 1929. FHL Book 929.273 P219g[dead link]; digital version at Ancestry. ($)
- [Park] Park, Evelyn Potter and Warren R. Park. Allen Park, 1745-1805, of Rowan County, North Carolina and Madison County, Kentucky: Including Some of His Descentants and Allied Families. Chandler, Okla.: n.p., 1970. FHL Book 929.273 P219pa[dead link]; 1977 supplement: FHL Book 929.273 P219pa supp.[dead link]
- [Pursley] Winchester, Warren. Benjamin Pursley (Pursell): of Loudoun County, Virginia, Bedford County, Pennsylvania, Madison County, Kentucky. Middletown, Ky.: W. Winchester, 1995. FHL Film 1598348 Item 17[dead link]
- [Shearer] Shearer, Oliver F. In Search of my Shearer Heritage in Madison and Rock Castle Countys [sic ] in Kentucky. [Winchester, Ky.]: O.F. Shearer, [199?]. FHL Book 929.273 Sh31so[dead link]
- [Turner] Sargent, Samuel S. Genealogy of the Turner Family (Especially of Madison County, Kentucky & Illinois), ca. 1700-1955. MSS., 1955. FHL Film 868[dead link]
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Madison County probate records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
-  Schreiner-Yantis, Netti and Florene Speakman Love. The 1787 Census of Virginia: An Accounting of the Name of Every White Male Tithable Over 21 Years, the Number of White Males Between 16 & 21 Years, the Number of Slaves over 16 & Those Under 16 Years, Together with a Listing of Their Horses, Cattle & Carriages, and Also the Names of All Persons to Whom Ordinary Licenses and Physician's Licenses Were Issued. 3 vols. Springfield, Va.: Genealogical Books in Print, 1987. Available at FHL[dead link]. [The source of this publication is the 1787 personal property tax list. Madison County is included in Vol. 1.]
-  Heinemann, Charles B. "First Census" of Kentucky 1790. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1940. 1981 reprint: FHL US/CAN 976.9 X2ph 1981[dead link]; digital version at Kentucky Kinfolks. ["3 volumes of 1789 were used, with some duplication of names." (p. 2)]
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
- Madison County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Madison County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).