Maine For Further Reading
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 20:11, 3 October 2010 by DiltsGD (create page)
For more information about research and records of Maine, see:
- Crandall, Ralph J., ed. Genealogical Research in New England. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing, 1984. (FHL Collection Ref. Book 974 D27gr.) WorldCat entry. This includes a bibliographic essay on Maine research.
- Frost, John Eldridge. Maine Genealogy: A Bibliographical Guide. 1985. Rev. ed. Portland, Maine: Maine Historical Society, 1985. (FHL book 974.1 D23f 1985 ; computer number 422465.) This guide shows bibliographic sources for such subjects as official records, tombstones, county histories, military service, and genealogies.
- Lindberg, Marcia Wiswall. Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research. 3rd ed. Boston, Mass: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1993. (FHL book 974 D27g 1993; computer number 741018.) This is an excellent guide to Maine towns and counties, location of public records, and genealogical societies.
- Wright, Norman Edgar. Genealogy in America. Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1968. (FHL book 973 D27wg; computer number 57539.) Volume 1 includes Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Maine. This contains a very good in-depth study of state, county, and town records. Some of the information may be out of date.
- Eichholz, Alice, ed. Red Book : American State, County, and Town Sources. 3rd ed. Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004. (FHL Collection Book 973 D27rb 2004.) WorldCat entry. Contains bibliographies and background information on history and ethnic groups. Also contains maps and tables showing when each county was created.