Difference between revisions of "Maine Compiled Genealogies"
m (Added Genealogy Inc Website)
m (Added Linkpendium website)
|Line 16:||Line 16:|
*[http://www.accessgenealogy.com/maine/ Access Genealogy Maine]
*[http://www.accessgenealogy.com/maine/ Access Genealogy Maine]
*[http://www.genealogyinc.com/maine/ Maine Genealogy] (Genealogy Inc)
*[http://www.genealogyinc.com/maine/ Maine Genealogy] (Genealogy Inc
=== Published Collections and Indexes ===
=== Published Collections and Indexes ===
Revision as of 18:04, 4 January 2013
Most archives, historical societies, and genealogical societies have special collections and indexes of genealogical value. These must usually be searched in person.
- Maine Genealogy is a place to search for names. You will find links to blogs, books, including FamilySearch.
Published Collections and Indexes
Many genealogies have been researched and published for the colonial states. Names of the earliest immigrants and settlers have been identified.
- Cutter, William Richard. New England Families: Genealogical and Memorial. Four Volumes. New York, New York: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1914. FHL films 962340 (first of 3); 6051510-12 (27 fiche); book 974 D2c 1914 Each volume contains an index to volumes 1-4. There is a separate set of these volumes published in 1913 FHL book 974D2c 1913; films 164686-9.
- Ireland, Norma Olin, and Winifred Irving. Cutter Index: A Consolidated Index of Cutter's Nine Genealogy Series. Fallbrook, California: Ireland Indexing Service, 197?. FHL film 1036507 item 6; fiche 6046737 (2 fiche); book 974 D22i;). An index to William Cutter's book.
- Greenlaw, William Prescott. The Greenlaw Index of the New England Historic Genealogical Society. Two Volumes. Boston, Massachusetts: G. K. Hall, 1979. FHL Q book 974 D22g This is an index to many local histories and genealogies published between 1900 and about 1940. Arranged alphabetically by family.
- Little, George Thomas. Genealogical and Family History of the State of Maine. Four Volumes. New York, NY: Lewis Historical Publishing, 1909. FHL film 1000056; fiche 6051259 (36 fiche); book 974.1 D2L Digitized version of Volume 2 available through FHL catalog entry.
- English Origins of New England Families: From the New England Historical and Genealogical Register. First Series, Three Volumes. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1984. FHL fiche 6047919-21; book 974 D2. This work contains and indexes much of what is known about New England immigrant origins. It contains multi-generational genealogies that are several pages long.
- English Origins of New England Families: from the New England Historical and Genealogical Register. Second series, three Volumes. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1985. FHL fiche 6047922-24; book 974 D2en This completes the intent of the first series, the consolidation of known information for New England immigrant origins.
- Noyes, Sybil, Charles Thornton Libby, and Walter Goodwin Davis. Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire. 1928-39. Reprint, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1983. FHL book 974 D2n 1983; films 476892, item 1, A-Locke and 599337, item 4, Locke-Z; fiche 6046621 (10 fiche) This includes genealogies up to the year 1700 and often beyond that date.
- Pope, Charles H. Pioneers of Maine and New Hampshire, 1623 to 1660. 1908. Reprint, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1965. FHL fiche 6049825; book 974 D2po 1965. 1908 ed. on FHL film 009724).
- Pioneers of Maine. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1956. FHL film 010374 This source is arranged alphabetically and contains genealogy, family sketches, and pedigrees. The time period is 1600-1850.
- Directory of Maine Pioneer Ancestors. N.p., 198–? FHL book 974.1 D24m This directory includes individuals who were in Maine before 1820. It lists names, some genealogical data, residences, and names of descendants who purchased a Pioneer Ancestor Certificate.
- Gray, Ruth, Editor. Maine Families in 1790. Five Volumes. Camden, Maine: Picton Press, 1988-1996. FHL book 974.1 D2m This ongoing project contains genealogical information, family linkages, and places of residence. It sometimes conflicts with other sources.
- Davis, Walter Goodwin. Massachusetts and Maine Families. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1996. FHL book 929.273 D29dwa three volumes These books cover the ancestry of 180 families and often have genealogical information back to the immigrant.
- Rider, Fremont, Editor. American Genealogical- Biographical Index. Volumes 1-186+. Middletown, Connecticut: Godfrey Memorial Library, 1952-. FHL 1698167 (first of 41); book 973 D22am series 2, Volumes 1–206 and supplement 1–20). This is a continuing series. An earlier 48-volume version of this source was published as The American Genealogical Index, 1942-1951. It contains over four million brief citations (name, date, and source) to manuscripts, periodicals, books, and the Boston Transcript. The earlier version referred to 350 sources. The second version includes the original 350 sources and an additional 800 more.
- Clark, Patricia L., and Dorothy Huntsman, Editors. American Genealogical Biographical Key Title Index. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1990. FHL film 1698167 item 4; fiche 6088377; book 973 D22am index This work lists the sources that are at the Family History Library and their call numbers.
- Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England. . . .Four Volumes. 1860-62. Reprint, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1969. FHL film 1321056 items 1-4; book 974 D2s 1969.Digitized version available through FHL catalog entry (Volumes 1-4).
- Benjamin Lake Noyes Collection. This collection has genealogies and correspondence concerning many Maine families, especially those that settled at Deer Isle in Hancock County. It is on microfilm at the Family History Library, the Maine Historical Society, and the Deer Isle-Stonington Historical Society (where many of the original volumes can be found). It is divided into three series that are each arranged alphabetically by surname.
Noyes, Benjamin Lake. Genealogical History of Deer Isle Families. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971, 1972, 1973.
|Series 1|| 32 volumes
|| Family History Library FHL films 897059-67 |
|Series 2||43 volumes||Family History Library FHL films 859266-71|
|Series 2a||12 volumes||Family History Library FHL films 908528-30|
The title for Series 1 is actually Settlers and Settlements of East Penobscot Bay Specializing on Deer Isle: Series 1, Historical.
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Collections. This collection consists of transcripts of Bible, cemetery, church, marriage, and death records and obituaries and wills. The volumes are also at the DAR Library in Washington, D.C.; the Maine Historical Society; and the New England Historic Genealogical Society.
- Daughters of the American Revolution (Maine). Genealogical and Miscellaneous Records Collected 1925-1972. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971-1972. (On 18 Family History Library films beginning with FHL film 859060 items 5-7
- Piscataqua Pioneers Membership Applications. The Piscataqua Pioneers is a lineage society for descendants of pre-1776 settlers along the Piscataqua River. The applications for membership give detailed lineages and are arranged in two series alphabetically by the name of the applicant.
- Piscataqua Pioneers. Applications for Membership, 1908-1990. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1978, 1980-1990.FHL films 1036925 (first of 4) The original filming was in 1978, additional filming took place from 1980 to 1990.
- Genealogical Card Index. The Maine Historical Society has a collection referred to as the Genealogical Card Index. This is an index by surname to local histories of Maine. Most of the information in this card index has been published in:
- Estes, Marie. Name Index to Maine Local Histories. Portland, Maine: Maine Historical Society, 1985. FHL film 1698019 item 34; book 974.1 H22e. The Maine Genealogical Society is currently updating this publication and also gathering brief but comprehensive biographies of each head of household listed in the 1790 census of Maine.
- Penobscot Pioneers. Another work lists families and ancestors of settlers along the Penobscot River.
- Gray, Philip Howard. Penobscot Pioneers. Camden, Maine: Penobscot Press, 1992-1994. Four Volumes. FHL book 974.1 D2g. This includes detailed genealogies with names, dates, and places. It also cites all sources used.
- FamilySearch™ Internet Genealogy Service - Trees contains lineages organized into family groups and pedigrees with an every-name index. This was created from a database formerly known as Ancestral File.
- The Family History Library has an extensive collection of almost 50,000 published U.S. family histories and newsletters. Copies at the library are listed in the Last names Search of the Family History Library Catalog.
- Major collections of printed family histories are also found at most of the archives and libraries listed in United States Archives and Libraries. Most large libraries have indexes and catalogs to published family histories. For a list of the indexes and catalogs available at the Family History Library see the Family History section of United States Genealogy in the Wiki.
- National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (NUCMC). "The National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections, established in 1959, is a cooperative cataloging program in which repositories from all over the United States open to the public report their holdings of manuscript collections to the Library of Congress. Staff members of the Manuscripts Section of the Library's Special Materials Cataloging Division prepare catalog entries for these reports, which are published annually in book form by the Library of Congress"--Index to personal names in the National Union Catalog of manuscript collections, 1959-1984, p. vii. An index is available at the Family History Library FHL book 016.091 N21 1959 to 1984
- Ancestry.com ($) Public and Private member trees.
- World Connect includes hundreds of thousands of ancestors in pedigrees and family trees with an easy to use index.
- Periodical Source Index (PERSI). There are more than 126,000 surnames included in the PERSI database which is available on the Internet at HeritageQuestOnline.com as well as at Ancestry.com. Both are subscription websites, but often available at local libraries.
Family History Library
- To access other genealogical records for Idaho use the Place-names Search of the Family History Library Catalog for:
- MAINE- GENEALOGY
- MAINE, [COUNTY] - GENEALOGY
Writing and Sharing Your Family History
Sharing your own family history is valuable for several reasons:
- It helps you see gaps in your own research and raises opportunities to find new information.
- It helps other researchers progress in researching ancestors you share in common.
- It draws other researchers to you who already have information about your family that you do not yet possess.
- It draws together researchers with common interests, sparking collaboration opportunities. For instance, researchers in various localities might choose to do lookups for each other in remote repositories. Your readers may also share photos of your ancestors that you have never seen before.
- See also: