Maine State Library, Museum & Archives, Augusta, ME.
- Mailing: 84 State House Station
- Augusta, Maine 04333
- Physical: 230 State Street
- Augusta, Maine 04333
Telephone: 207-287-5795 Fax: 207-287-5517
Hours and holidays: Monday-Friday 8:00 to 4:00 (except legal holidays)
Internet sites and databases:
- Maine State Archives includes online services, publications, news, Archives Interactive, CCC info, marriage and death databases, downloadable databases, researcher and historical group services.
- Archives Interactive describes records available at the MSA including photos, maps, court records, municipal records (birth, marriage, death) and microfilms, town legal histories, and newspapers.
- Marriage database 1892-2009 search by bride's/groom's names, and/or by town, and narrow by date.
- Death database 1960-2009 search by name, and/or by town of death, and narrow by date.
- Databases for downloading include military (Civil War, Mexican War, War of 1812), CCC, courts, divorces 1800-1891, photos, maps, railroads, town records 1630-1990, and minor civil divisions.
The Maine State Archives (MSA) collection includes town meeting minutes, births, marriages, and deaths from 1630 to 1955. When Maine requested a copy of their pre-1892 records, only 80 towns originally responded. About half the pre-1892 records have been indexed. MSA also have federal censuses 1790-1930, a 1837 state census, and land deeds 1794-1940, photos, maps, and town history information. Court records include dockets, records, and casefiles. MSA military records include the Maine militia, Revolutionary War (1775-1883) and later pensions and bounty land, War of 1812, Aroostook War of 1839, Mexican War 1846-1848, Civil War 1861-1864, and Spanish American War 1898. The MSA maintains a list of private researchers for hire who are familiar with their collection.
Before a visit, save time by printing and completing a Research Room Privileges Application (PDF, 78 KB).
- Town Records on Microfilm 1630-1990 (downloadable database). Describes 2,115 film records of births, deaths, marriages, marriage intentions, town records, militia enrollment, or tax lists.
- Maine State Arhives, Microfilm List : Early Maine Town and Vital Records (Augusta, Maine: MSA, 1992). At various libraries (WorldCat).
If you cannot visit or find a source at the Maine State Archives, a similar source may be available at one of the following.
- Maine town clerks keep town meeting minutes, birth, marriages, and deaths from early to 1922.
- New England Historic Genealogical Society
- National Archives Northeast Region
- Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Maine Vital Records
- The Library , University of Maine at Presque Isle
- Fogler Library , University of Maine, Orono
- Penobscot Marine Museum , Searsport
- Maine Historical Society, Portland
- Portland Public Library, Portland
- Springvale Public Library, Springvale Village, Sanford
- Maine State Library, Augusta
- Maine State Museum, Augusta
- ME state Gen Soc
- Kennebec County Hist/Gen Soc
- registrar of deeds
- registrar of probate