Maitland - South Australia
Maitland is a town in South Australia located 168 km west of Adelaide, 164 km south of Port Pirie and 46 km from Minlaton near the centre of northern Yorke Peninsula.
The town was named in 1872 after Lady Jean Maitland, the wife of the First Lord of Kilkerran, a family connection of the governor of South Australia at this time, Sir James Fergusson; the local aborigines calling it "madu waltu", meaning white flint.
Maitland has a grain receiving depot operated by AWB Limited, serviced only by road. Maitland is also the home base of the Narungga Aboriginal Progress Association.
Maitland's urban design is patterned after Adelaide's central business district: a neat grid of streets surrounded on all four sides by parkland.