Manchester St Clement, Lancashire Genealogy
St. Clement's, in Lever-street, Manchester was built as a chapel of ease. It was erected and opened in 1793. It lay within the civil parish boundaries of Manchester Cathedral Church (Our Lady, St George and St Denys).
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
There are online transcriptions for St Clements in the City of Manchester and for the ancient parish (Cathedral) of Our Lady, St George and St Denys. Displayed below are links to online data for the chapelry of St Clements as well as for the Cathedral located at the web sites indicated below; note the ranges of years:
|CHORTON-UPON-MEDLOCK ST CLEMENTS Chapelry (1793) Indexes|
MANCHESTER CATHEDRAL - OUR LADY, ST GEORGE AND ST DENYS (1573) Indexes
|LOPC||1573-1616;1777-1837||1573-1616;1782-1836 - part. yrs||1573-1616;1792-1836 - part. yrs|
To view a full list of Manchester City's over 150 chapelries and online data available for each one, see the Parish (Cathedral) of MANCHESTER OUR LADY, ST GEORGE & ST DENYS page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438721.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 221-247. Adapted. Date accessed: 19 July 2010.