Manchester St George, Lancashire Genealogy
St. George's, on the Middleton road, [Manchester] was built in 1790, by the Rev. Samuel Pidgeon, of Sale, and after being used by Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, was purchased and consecrated for a church in 1818: there are 1293 sittings, all free. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a chapelry district assigned; net income, £220; patron, the Bishop of Chester.
Manchester St George was created a chapel of ease in 1818 from Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys, Lancashire Ancient Parish. See external link below for Henry Mantell's article explaining the Collegiate Church influence on Manchester Parishes.
[Note: Some marriages appear in the registers of marriages from early to 1754, only. There are no marriages from 1754 onward.]
www.images.manchester.gov.uk/libraries for images of the church Manchester Libraries Image Collection
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
There are online transcriptions for many of the Manchester City ecclesiastical parishes--including the ancient parish (Cathedral) of Our Lady, St George and St Denys, and for the baptism, marriage and burial registers of many of its numerous chapelries lying within its boundaries. Displayed below are those chapelries (including the Cathedral) with available online data located at the web sites indicated below; note the ranges of years:
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|FMP = FMP = FindMyPast|
|LBMD = Lancashire BMD|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|GLUK = genealogylinksuk|
|MANCHESTER ST GEORGE OLDHAM RD Chapelry (1798) Indexes|
|FS||1786-1797(part); 1798-1898||1841-1930||1798-1853 - part.|
MANCHESTER CATHEDRAL - OUR LADY, ST GEORGE AND ST DENYS (1573) Indexes
|LOPC||1573-1616;1777-1837||1573-1616;1782-1836 - part. yrs||1573-1616;1792-1836 - part. yrs|
Parish registers for St. George's Church, Oldham Road, Manchester, 1798-1901 Microfilm copy of originals formerly held at the Manchester Central Library, Manchester, England.
Hulme is a township with eight parochial chapelries in Manchester parish.
| Baptisms, 1798-1901. Baptisms in German Street licensed school room, 1854-1860. Marriages, 1841-1901. Burials, 1798-1853.
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438726.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
Henry Mantell's article http://www.aidan.co.uk/article_manchester_cathedral.htm explains the Dean and Fellows of the Collegiate Church impact on Manchester parishes.
- A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 221-247. Adapted. Date accessed: 19 July 2010.