Manitoba Newspapers (National Institute)
The original content for this article was contributed by The National Institute for Genealogical Studies in June 2012. It is an excerpt from their course Research: Manitoba Ancestors by Laura Hanowski. The Institute offers over 200 comprehensive genealogy courses for a fee ($).
Newspapers and Newspaper Indexes
Newspapers allow us to have a picture of a community and the province at the time our ancestors lived. There is much information to be gained if we look beyond the birth, marriage and obituary/death notices. The classified section has ads to notify the public about Changes of Name and Divorces, a Notice to Creditors tells us there will be surrogate court records. We learn the names of the churches, schools, organizations and sports teams in the community. From the Local News type columns we learn who was traveling, why they were traveling, whom they were visiting and who and why people were visiting the community. During times of war there is extensive information about members of the community who have enlisted, those who were injured in battle, those missing or kill in action and/or those who returned.
Manitoba Legislative Library
The Manitoba Legislative Library has an extensive collection of newspapers published in Manitoba dating back to 1859. The book The Manitoba Newspaper Checklist, 1859-1986 contains the list of the newspapers that have been published in Manitoba and which newspapers are found on microfilm. There is an online database that lists what copies of the newspaper are currently available. Those newspapers on microfilm are available through Interlibrary Loan.
- Loveridge, D.M.A Historical Directory of Manitoba Newspapers 1859- 1978. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, c1981.
- The Manitoba Newspaper Checklist, 1859-1986. Winnipeg: The Association, 1986.
Library and Archives Canada
The Library and Archives Canada has received all newspapers microfilmed in Canada since 01 January 1988. The library also lists all newspapers filmed by provincial/territorial institutions. At this time there is an in-house finding aid which allows on site users to locate all the National Library holdings. The last edition of the Union Lists of Canadian Newspapers on Microfiche list the names of the newspapers published in Canada, showing which libraries have copies and which editions have been microfilmed.
- Union Lists of Canadian Newspapers on Microfiche. Ottawa: National Library of Canada, 1993.
Indexes to Manitoba Newspapers
- Centre d’études franco-canadiennes de l’Ouest, compiler. Index du journal Le Métis 1871-1881. Saint-Boniface, Manitoba: Le Centre, 1981.
- Centre d’études franco-canadiennes de l’Ouest, compiler.Index du journal Le Métis 1881-1925. Saint-Boniface, Manitoba: Le Centre, 1982 .
- DeGroot, John G., compiler.Manitoba Notices: Selected Births, Marriages, Anniversaries and Deaths Extracted From the AWinnipeg Free Press, November 1984-February 1986. Ottawa: Self-published, 1991.
- Contains about 6,100 entries of individuals who appear to be of French origin. Section One is an alphabetical name index and Section Two has photocopies of the actual notices.
- Hamson, Vera, compiler. An Index of Births, Marriages, Deaths and Residents Found in Newspapers of Thompson, Manitoba: A genealogical aid for those interested in looking for family history in the Thompson area. Winnipeg: self-published, 2003.
- Index to the Obituaries of Brandon Newspapers 1900-1909. Brandon, Manitoba: South West Branch Manitoba Genealogical Society, no date.
- Index to the Obituaries to Brandon Sun 1910-1919. Brandon, Manitoba: South West Branch Manitoba Genealogical Society, no date.
- Obituary Notices Index: Manitoba Rural Newspapers 1980-1990. Winnipeg: Manitoba Genealogical Society, 1990.
- Obituary Notices Index: Winnipeg Newspapers 1969-2002. Winnipeg: Manitoba Genealogical Society,1999 +.
- Pallet, Mary, compiler. The Winnipeg Tribune Subject Clipping Research Files: Microfilm Master Index. Winnipeg: Department of Archives and Special Collections, University of Manitoba Libraries, 1986.
- Covers 1890-1980. There is an alphabetical subject index, subdivided chronologically. The actual clippings are in 167 microfilm reels found in the general collection of the University of Manitoba.
- Stokes, Kathleen Rooke et al. An Index of Marriage and Death Notices From Manitoba Newspapers: Vol. 1: 1859-1881. Winnipeg: Manitoba Genealogical Society, 1986.
- Stokes, Kathleen Rooke et al. An Index of Birth, Marriage and Death Notices From Manitoba Newspapers: Vol. 2: 1882-1884. Winnipeg: Manitoba Genealogical Society, 1993.
- Stokes, Kathleen Rooke et al.An Index of Birth, Marriage and Death Notices From Manitoba Newspapers: Vol. 3: 1885. Winnipeg: Manitoba Genealogical Society, no date.
- Stokes, Kathleen Rooke et al. An Index of Birth, Marriage and Death Notices From Manitoba Newspapers: Vol. 4: 1886. Winnipeg: Manitoba Genealogical Society, no date.
Information in this Wiki page is excerpted from the online course Research: Manitoba Ancestors offered by The National Institute for Genealogical Studies. To learn more about this course or other courses available from the Institute, see our website. We can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome updates and additions to this Wiki page.