Maps of the South
Maps are essential when doing genealogical research. Maps can help determine:
- Jurisdictions and boundaries
- Geographical and physical features
- Relationships between towns and counties
Use many sources to locate a map closest to the time period your ancestor lived in a certain location.
Here are some references and web sites to assist you in locating maps.
- Alabama Maps
- Alabama Burned Counties
- Mason, Sara Elizabeth, A List of the Nineteenth Century Maps of the State of Alabama, Birmingham Public Library, 1973.
- Remington, W. Craig and Thomas Kallsen, Historical Atlas of Alabama, University of Alabama Dept. of Geography, 1997.
- Sinko, Peggy Tuck