Maps of the South
Maps are essential when doing genealogical research. Maps can help determine:
- Jurisdictions and boundaries
- Geographical and physical features
- Relationships between towns and counties
Use many sources to locate a map closest to the time period your ancestor lived in a certain location.
Here are some references and web sites to assist you in locating maps.
- Alabama Maps
- Alabama Burned Counties
- Sara Elizabeth Mason, A List of the Nineteenth Century Maps of the State of Alabama, (Birmingham Public Library, 1973)
- W. Craig Remington and Thomas Kallsen, ed., Historical Atlas of Alabama, (Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama, 1997)
- Peggy Tuck Sinko, comp., Alabama: Atlas of Historical County Boundaries, (New York City: Charles Scribner;s Sons., 1996)