Marazion, Cornwall Genealogy
Marazion is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Cornwall, created in 1823 from chapelry in St Hilary Ancient Parish.
The original parish church is at St Hilary. In Marazion there was a chapel of ease dedicated to St Hermes (recorded in 1308): by 1735 it had become ruinous and was rebuilt. In 1861 a new church (dedicated to All Saints) was built on the same site which became a parish church in 1893. The architect was J. P. St Aubyn.
St Hilary, Cornwall was the ‘mother church’ at Churchtown. The church rites of the entire parish, (baptisms, marriages and burials) were all performed at the ‘mother church’ until 1813 when the Marazion church was awarded the ability to conduct baptisms and burials. It was not until about 1850 that the Marazion church was allowed to conduct marriages. In 1892 Marazion became a fully independent parish.
The Methodist church is a classical revival building of 1862 with galleries and he mentions one grand Georgian house at the west end of the town.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Overview, Include information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact information for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P 136
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/marazion.php
The history registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Marazion .
The chapel at St Michael's Mount has an additinal page http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/michaels_mount_st.php
although part of the Marazion parish it is necessary to consider burials in the old graveyard at St Michaels Mount. Home of the St Aubyn family and formerly an abbey as well as a castle on the landward side at the foot of the mount lived mariners and fishermen in a small community.
The Mount is accessible by foot at low tide and by boat from Marazion and is a property managed by the National Trust.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241266.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [county] Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.