Marbury, Cheshire Genealogy
Marbury St Michael or Marbury cum Quoisley was a chapelry in Whitchurch, Cheshire Ancient parish and includes the hamlets of Hollins Lane, Hollyhurst (part), Marley Green and Willeymoor (part). It became a parish in 1870.
A timber, wattle and daub church was present on the site in 1299. The current church dates from the 15th century, the first incumbent being registered in 1530. The church was a parochial chapel annexed to Whitchurch until 1870, when it became a perpetual curacy. The chancel was rebuilt in the early years of the 19th century and again in 1822. In 1891–92, the church was restored by John Douglas, the organ chamber was added, and the plaster roof was replaced with carved oak panelling. To celebrate the 2000 Millennium a new sundial was added to the south wall of the church.
St Michael's Church, Marbury, also known as St Michael and All Angels, stands on a small rise overlooking Big Mere in the village of Marbury, Cheshire, England. The church is a Grade II* listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Malpas. Its benefice is combined with those of St Chad, Tushingham, and St Mary, Whitewell .
Marbury is a small village located at SJ560457 in the civil parish of Marbury cum Quoisley, within the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is administered jointly with the adjacent civil parishes of Norbury and Wirswall. The village lies around 3 miles (5 km) north east of Whitchurch in Shropshire and 7 miles (11 km) south west of Nantwich in Cheshire. Nearby villages include Malpas, No Man's Heath, Norbury, Wirswall and Wrenbury. The civil parish is on the boundary with Shropshire, and also contains the small settlements of Hollins Lane, Marley Green and Quoisley, as well as parts of Hollyhurst and Willeymoor.
The area is agricultural, with dairy farming the main industry. A small area in the east of the civil parish is part of the Combermere estate. There are five meres which are important wildlife habitats; Marbury Big Mere is a fishing lake and the Quoisley Meres are a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Wetland of International Importance. The civil parish is believed to have been inhabited since the Anglo-Saxon period, and contains many historic buildings, the earliest being the 15th century St Michael's Church.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Nantwich (1837–53)
- Whitchurch (1853–1937)
- Crewe (1937–74)
- Congleton and Crewe (1974–88)
- South Cheshire (1988–98)
- South Cheshire (post 1998)
registration events can be searched online at Cheshire BMD
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Cheshire Record Office DocumentReference P 39P39/1/1-3, 2/1-3, 3/1-3, 4, 5/1-2. Marbury Parish records Date 1538-1987 Description Registers: Christenings 1538-1943, Marriages 1583-1983, Burials 1538-1944. Records other than registers 1618-1987 RelatedMaterial
. See also Whitchurch
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in Family Search Historical Records.
|Parish Registers Contents||FHL Film|
|Burials, 1538-1812. Baptisms, 1538-1943. Marriages, 1538-1952. Banns of marriages, 1813-1911.||BRITISH 2093579|
|Burials, 1813-1944.||BRITISH 2093666 Items 1 - 2|
Bishop's transcripts for Marbury, 1578-1881 Cheshire Record Office number: EDB/142
An index for Cheshire, Church of England, Bishop’s transcripts is available online in FamilySearch Historical Records
|Bishop's transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1578-1579, 1586, 1589, 1593, 1832. Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1600-1601, 1607-1614, 1625-1627, 1632-1739, 1741-1830, 1837, 1836, 1835, 1833. Baptisms, burials, 1838-1847, 1849-1851, 1853-1854, 1875-1882. Marriages, 1838, 1837.||BRITISH 1551240|
Cheshire Record Office DocumentReference EMS 251 Norbury (Marbury) Methodist Chapel
Date 20th century Description Registers1939-58
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241233.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Poor Law Unions
- Nantwich Poor Law Union(1837–53)
- Whitchurch Incorporation Poor Law Union, Shropshire (1853–1930)
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
Wrenbury and Marbury: The History of Two Parishes and the Nearby Villages, Latham FA, ed. (Local History Group; 1999), p.71 (ISBN: 0-9522284-5-9)
Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: B. T Batsford, pp. 225–227
Thornber, Craig (2001 & 2005), A Scrapbook of Cheshire Antiquities: Marbury-cum-Quoisley, http://www.thornber.net/cheshire/htmlfiles/marbury.html, retrieved 3 October 2007
Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, p. 50, ISBN 1871731232
Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, pp. 18, 275, ISBN 0 300 09588 0