Marshall County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent Counties|
|Marshall County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1836|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseMarshall County Courthouse
424 Blount Avenue
Guntersville, AL 35976
Phone: (256) 571-7786
Probate Judge has marriage, probate and land records from 1836
and birth and death records from 1920 
- Northern Alabama, Historical and Biographical. Birmingham, Ala.: Smith and De Land, 1888. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. Marshall County, Alabama Genealogy begins on page 58.
- Nixon's Chapel Cemetery, Horton BillionGraves
- Douthat, James L. Guntersville Reservoir Cemeteries. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press. Free surname index and publisher's bookstore at Mountain Press.
- Douthat, James L. Wheeler Reservoir Cemeteries. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press. Free surname index and publisher's bookstore at Mountain Press.
Additional Marshall County cemeteries are included in Alabama Cemetery Records Vol. 1 at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
Land and Property
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Abstracts of The Marshall County News (1858), The Tennessee Valley (1856), The Marshall Eagle (1853), The Albertville Banner (1919), and The Albertville Herald (1936) were published in:
- 1853-1858, 1919, 1936 - Caver, Larry E. Abstracts from Alabama Newspapers, Volume II: Limestone County, Madison County, Marshall County, Jackson County. Carrollton, Miss.: Pioneer Publishing Co., 2007. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- 1830-1976 - Marshall County, Alabama Genealogy Probate Records, 1830-1976 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1866 - U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 at Ancestry ($). Marshall County is in District 3.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Alabama Voting Registers for 1867 are available online at the Alabama Department of Archives and History. Marshall County has two books:
Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Guntersville Alabama
- Rt 2 & Spring Creek Rd
Guntersville, Marshall, Alabama, United States
Hours: Th 10am-1pm; W 6:30pm-8pm
Closed: Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Rt 2 & Spring Creek Rd
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Marshall County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Marshall County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Marshall County p. 38. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).