Marshall County, Illinois Genealogy
|Marshall County, Illinois|
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||January 19, 1839|
|Illinois Regional Archives Depository, Illinois State Archives|
|Address|| Marshall County Courthouse|
122 N. Prairie
Lacon, Illinois 61540
Marshall County Website
- 1 Marshall County Organization
- 2 Records and Resources
- 2.1 Biography
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church Records
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Ethnic Research
- 2.7 Land and Property
- 2.8 Local Histories
- 2.9 Maps
- 2.10 Military Records
- 2.11 Naturalization
- 2.12 Newspapers
- 2.13 Probate Records
- 2.14 Repositories
- 2.15 Social Groups Online
- 2.16 Societies
- 2.17 Taxation
- 2.18 Vital Records
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Web Sites
- 5 References
Marshall County Organization
Marshall County's civil records start the following years:
|Beginning Dates for Marshall County Records|
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for Marshall County are kept, see the Marshall County Courthouse page.
Historical FactsJohn Marshall, a soldier of the Revolution, Statesman, author and jurist, Ambassador to France, Representative in Congress from Virginia, Secretary of State and Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
- 1825-1839 Putnam
- 1827-1827 Peoria
- 1823-1825 Fulton
- 1821-1823 Sangamon
- 1817-1821 Bond
- 1812-1821 Madison
- 1801-1812 St. Clair
- 1795-1901 Knox, Northwest Territory
See an interactive map of Marshall County boundary changes.
Records and Resources
Illinois cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Marshall County and links to the information for the individuals buried there.
- Marshall Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- Marshall County, Illinois Cemeteries. by James E. Fairbanks FHL Collection item 5
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Marshall County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Marshall County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
- African American Coal Miner (Information Center)
Land and Property
War of 1812
Military Land Grants in Marshall County Illinois for Soldiers of the War of 1812 - USGenWeb
Captain Robert Barnes' Company - USGenWeb
Civil War service men from Marshall County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Marshall County.
- - 11th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (3 months), Company B
- -11th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (3 years) Company B, and Company I
- - 17th Regiment, Illinois Infantry Company B
- -18th (Reorganized) Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company K
- - 44th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C
- - 47th Regiment, Illinois infantry, Company D, and Company G
- - 47th (Consolidated) Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company I
- - 53rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company H.
- - 65th Regiment, Illinois Infantry (2nd Scotch Regiment Cameron's Highlanders), Company C.
- - 77th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company D.
- - 86th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B, and Company E.
- -138th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company K
1861-1862 Militia Rolls IRAD-ISU
Lacon Post, Lacon 1913 - USGenWeb
1883 Pensioners List - USGenWeb
World War I
World War II
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for Adams County are kept, see the Adams County Courthouse page.
Family History Center
Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD)
Illinois State University (ISU)
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System - Local Governmental Records Listings Arranged by County
Social Groups Online
Illinois Vital Records for more information.
1878- Present - The original Marshall County birth records are at the County ____office. The following records are available:
1878-1914 Birth Certificates - IRAD-ISU
1839-Present - the original Marshall County marriage records are at the County _____office. The following records are available:
1839-1921 Marraige Licenses - IRAD-ISU
1877-Present - The original Marshcall County death records are at the County ____office. The following records are available:
1877-1914 Death Certificates - IRAD-ISU
1877-1914 Death Certificates, Stillbirth -IRAD-ISU
1874-1888 Coroner's Inquest Record - IRAD-ISU
Places / Localities
Databases Pertinent to Marshall County
Local Governmental Records Database
Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
Federal Township Plats of Illinois
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Marshall County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 196. (FHL Collection Ref Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.