Marston upon Dove, Derbyshire Genealogy
Marston upon Dove St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Derbyshire. Other places in the parish include: Hatton, Hoon, Hilton with Hargate Manor, and Hilton. .
MARSTON-UPON-DOVE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Tutbury; containing, with the townships of Hatton, Hilton, and Hoon, 1177 inhabitants, of whom 85 are in the township of Marston. The manor was given to the priory of Tutbury by the founder, Henry de Ferrers; and was granted after the Reformation to the Cavendish family. The parish comprises 4227 acres, chiefly rich pasture and dairy-farms, and of level surface: in Marston township are 976 acres. The river Dove passes on the south of the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 15. 2½.; net income, £225; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire: the tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1780 and 1789. The vicarage-house is a neat mansion with gardens and shrubberies attached. The church is partly in the early and partly in the decorated English style, and is a handsome edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, aisles, and a tower with a lofty spire; it was repaired and repewed, and a singing-gallery with an organ erected, in 1816, at a cost of £1600, and a gallery was built on the north side in 1830: the font is curious and ancient. There are several bequests, among them those of the Woolley family, for the benefit of the poor.From: 'Marston-Maisey - Martin-Hussingtree', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 266-269. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51137 Date accessed: 09 March 2011.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD includes registered births for the Burton upon Trent Registration District . http://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi?county=staffordshire The registration district prior to 1937 included this parish. From 1937 onwards the Repton district was responsible. Registers are now held at
The Register Office, Royal Oak House, Market Place, Derby, DE1 3AR.
Tel: 01332 256526/35/36. Fax: 01332 256525.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Derbyshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.