Martin County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Martin County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Martin County Courthouse
305 East Main Street
Williamston, NC 27892-0668
Courthouse burned in 1884
1820 census missing
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage and land records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and Court records from1800's
and probate records from 1700's 
My North Carolina Genealogy - Martin County History and Information
1884--Courthouse fire destroyed many court records.
Bear Grass, Cross Roads , Goose Nest, Griffins, Hamilton, Jamesville, Poplar Point, Robersonville, Williams, Williamston
- Martin County Cemeteries at the NCGenWeb Archives
- Martin County cemetery information at the Martin County NCGenWeb site
- Find-A-Grave: Martin County Cemeteries
For tips on accessing Martin County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Court transcriptions - NCGenWeb Archives
Register of Deeds Website
The Martin County Register of Deeds maintains records for land transactions in the county. Visit their website for further information and to search online deed records from 1866 to present.
Additional Land Records
- Deeds - NCGenWeb Archives
- [FHL Microfilm] - Deeds, 1774-1941; index to real estate conveyances, 1772-1963 - also look for it in a library using WorldCat.com.
- [FHL Microfilm] - Deeds, 1774-1867; grantor index, 1771-1881
- [Book] - Martin County, North Carolina abstracts of deed books - 3-volume set that covers 1774-1811. Available at the Family History Library
Early migration routes to and from Martin County for European settlers included:
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- Martin County wills - transcribed wills submitted to the NCGenWeb Archives; coverage varies
- [Book] - Martin County, North Carolina : abstracts of will books, 1774-1868. Published in 1990. The index to this book is available online here. If you find a will of interest, then look at this list of libraries that have it and contat them for details.
- Births, Marriages & Death information for Martin County - NCGenWeb site
- Search death certificates in the FamilySearch database North Carolina Deaths, 1906-1930
- Search marriage information in the FamilySearch database North Carolina Marriages 1762-1979
- Obituaries - death notices of Martin County residents
- Martin County students attending NC colleges - link via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- NCGenWeb: Martin County - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- Martin County at Our Family Tree
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Martin County, North Carolina. Page 510 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 847-61. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002) WorldCat entry., and William E. Myer, Indian Trails of the Southeast. (Nashville, Tenn.: Blue and Gray Press, 1971), 12-14, and the book's pocket map "The Trail System of the Southeastern United States in the early Colonial Period" (1923). (FHL Book 970.1 M992i) WorldCat entry.