Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Mason County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Mason County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||November 5, 1788|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American Research
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 4.18 Societies and Libraries
- 5 References
See an interactive map of Mason County boundary changes.
|Bates||Manley (hist.)||Old Washington||South Ripley|
|Charlestown Bottom (hist.)||Marshall||Orangeburg||Springdale|
|Country Club Heights||Mays Lick||Plumville||Taylors Mill|
|Helena||Mount Gilead||Shawnee Hill|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Mason Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Mason County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Mason County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Mason County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
1790 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Anderson] Black, William. "Stokes-Anderson of Lunenburg County," in John Bennett Boddie, ed., Historical Southern Families, Vol. 2 (Redwood City, Calif., 1958), 217-225.
- [Anderson] Darnel, Michael R. "Which James Anderson Married Elizabeth Ligon?" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):163-170. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 39 (1995).
- [Asbury] Holtzclaw, B.C. "Asbury of Westmoreland County, Virginia," Virginia Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 3 (Jul. 1967):55-65; Vol. 5, No. 4 (Oct. 1967):77-87; Vol. 6, No. 1 (Jan. 1968):10-26. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Beeler] Pappas, Carolyn H. "Christopher Beeler, 1705-1775," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 43, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1999):243-255; Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):18-30; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):115-125. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Bell] Ball, Helen A. Bell Family: The Bells of Mason County, Kentucky, Charles Bell and Daniel Bell, Including Descendants and Some Related Families. East Lansing, Mich.: H.A. Ball, 1981. FHL Book 929.273 B413bh
- [Collier] Boss, Lula Reed. Captain Thomas Collier of Charlotte County, Virginia, Including Records of Mason County, Kentucky. MSS. Microfilmed 1956. FHL Film 157151 Item 2
- [Day] DeVerter, Ruth Hendricks. The Day and Hendrix(cks) Families: Including Poe and Allied Lines: Bucks County, Pennsylvania; Baltimore and Cecil Counties, Maryland; Bracken and Mason Counties, Kentucky; Brown and Clermont County, Ohio; Wayne and Hendricks Counties, Indiana. Multi-volume. Baytown, Texas: R.H. DeVerter, 1963. FHL Book 929.273 H384d v. 3
- [Flinn] Taylor, Evelyn M. The Family of John Flinn (abt 1793) - Rebecca Reeves (abt 1795) of Mason County, Kentucky and Putnam County, Indiana. Salt Lake City, Utah: Taylor, R.J.Jr. Foundation, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 F646t; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Heflin] Heflin, Donald L. Reuben Heflin of Somewhere in Virginia to Mason, Fleming & Mason counties, KY, 1785-1863. Georgetown, Ky.: D.L. Heflin, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 H361hdd
- [Levi] Pearson, Spencer. Of Turkeys and Eagles. Corpus Christi, Texas: S. Pearson, 1998. FHL Book 929.273 P318p
- [McCracken] Everett, Jeanne McCracken. McCracken Family Records: Descendants of John McCracken and Elizabeth Wood 1784-1984: John McCracken & Elizabeth Wood were Married 1784 in Frederick, Maryland; Resided 1788-1817 in Mason County, Kentucky; and after 1817 in Daviess County, Indiana. Typescript. Microfilmed 1990. FHL Film beg. 1674175 Item 9.
- [Marshall] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Marshall] Prewitt, John Marshall. Marshall of King George Co., Va. and Mason Co., Ky: Berry -- Kercheval -- Roy and Connected Families. Cincinnati, Ohio: J.M. Prewitt, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 M355pj
- [Matthews] Matthews, Mitchell Dudley. Walter Matthews (1845-1930) of May's Lick, Mason County, Kentucky and His Descendants. 1968. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 353
- [Owens] Owens, David Hatfield. Owens Family of Virginia (Richmond, King George, Stafford, Prince William, Fauquier Counties) and Kentucky (Mason, Lewis, Fleming, Bracken, Mercer, Boyle Counties). Ann Arbor, Mich.: D.H. Owens, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2od 1991
- [Prichard] Prichard, Paul Preston. The Prichard Family: History and Genealogy of the Descendants, Antecedents and Collateral Relatives of Harmon and Nancy Purcell Prichard of Mason County, Kentucky. El Paso, Texas: P.P. Prichard, 1976. FHL Book 929.273 P931r
- [Randolph] Randolph, Blanche Willie Grace and Deborah Ann Kraemer Small. The Randolphs of Prince William County, Virginia. Little Rock, Arkansas: B. Randolph, 1979. FHL Collection
- [Randolph] Small, Deborah Ann Kraemer and Blanche Willie Grace Randolph. The Randolphs of Prince William County, Virginia, Volume II. Winter Park, Florida: D. Small, 1989. FHL Collection
- [Randolph] Raski, Arma, James Randolph, and Glenita Guthrie. Additions & Corrections to Vol. II, the Randolphs of Prince William Co., VA by Deborah K. Small. FHL 6075877
- [Reeves] Taylor, Evelyn M. The Family of Samuel Reeves, Sr. (1770/1780) - 1850: of Mason County, Kentucky and Putnam County, Indiana. Salt Lake City, Utah: E.M. Taylor, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 R259t
- [Robinson] Robinson, John Bunyan. The Adin Robinson Family and Collaterals. Libertyville, Ill., 1904. FHL Film 856108 Item 4; digital version at Google Books.
- [Rust] Rust, Ellsworth Marshall. Rust of Virginia: Genealogical and Biographical Sketches of the Descendants of William Rust, 1654-1940. Washington, D.C.: Rust, 1940. FHL Book 929.273 R922re.
- [Tarvin] Torrey Alice Ellenor Herndon and Ronald Brennan. Tarvin Family Connections: Including Cowgill and Cracraft Families of Mason County and Campbell Co., Ky. Wilder, Ky.: R. Brennan, 1977. FHL Book 929.273 T179ta
- [Walton] Walton, Matt Savage. Chart, Direct Line of Descent and Other Documents Pertaining to the Walton Family of Mason County and Lexington, Kentucky. Typescript, 1940s. FHL Book 929.273 W173wm
- [Walton] Walton, John. "Job Walton of Fleming County, Kentucky," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 52, No. 1 (Mar. 1964):15-24. FHL Collection 973 B2ng v. 52
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 6th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company H.
- - 9th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate). Company H.
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1791-1924 - Will Books A to Z (1791-1924) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1790 - Heinemann, Charles B. "First Census" of Kentucky 1790. Washington, D.C.: n.p., 1940. 1981 reprint: FHL US/CAN 976.9 X2ph 1981; digital version at Kentucky Kinfolks. ["1 volume of 1790 was used." (p. 2)]
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1852-1861 - Mason County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517731 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Mason County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517732 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1789-1805 - Mason County Marriage Index 1789-1805. Batch M539871 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1806-1819 - Mason County Marriage Index 1806-1819. Batch M539872 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1820-1837 - Mason County Marriage Index 1820-1837. Batch M539873 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1855 - Mason County Marriage Index 1852-1855. Batch M539876 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1860 - Mason County Marriage Index 1852-1860. Batch M539875 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1861 - Mason County Marriage Index 1852-1861. Batch M517731 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-1864 - Mason County Marriage Index 1859-1864. Batch M539878 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1864-1866 - Mason County Marriage Index 1864-1866. Batch M539879 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866-1872 - Mason County Marriage Index 1866-1872. Batch M539881 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866-1897 - Mason County Marriage Index 1866-1897. Batch M539887 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1866-1949 - Mason County Marriage Index 1866-1949. Batch M539886 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1872-1879 - Mason County Marriage Index 1872-1879. Batch M539882 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1879-1885 - Mason County Marriage Index 1879-1885. Batch M539883 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1892 - Mason County Marriage Index 1885-1892. Batch M539884 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1892-1896 - Mason County Marriage Index 1892-1896. Batch M539885 at FamilySearch - free.
- Marriage Bonds, Mason County, Kentucky. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Mason County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Mason County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mason County, Kentucky page 273, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/7/75/Igikentuckymz.pdf.