Massachusetts, United States Genealogy
United States Massachusetts
|United States Wiki Topics|
|United States Background|
|Local Research Resources|
Welcome to Massachusetts, Bay State
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts entered the Union on February 6, 1788, as the sixth state. It is governed under its original constitution, which was adopted in 1780. Boston (also known as "The Hub" and "Beantown") became the capitol city of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1632. It has served as the state capitol since 1780. For more information about the history of Massachusetts, see the Massachusetts History article.
County Creation Dates and Divisions showing dates they were created or renamed and counties created from older counties.
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Massachusetts GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger The USGenWeb Project.
- Massachusetts Land Records provides access to indexes and search tools to find recorded records. Some counties have records, with images, available back to 1900.
- BYU Research Outline for Massachusetts
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by: