McDuffie County, Georgia Genealogy
Guide to McDuffie County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|McDuffie County, Georgia|
Location of Georgia in the U.S.
|Founded||October 18, 1870|
|Address|| McDuffie County Courthouse|
337 Main Street
PO Box 158
Thomson, GA 30824-0028
McDuffie County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death and probate records from 1872;
Clerk Superior Court has divorce from 1872, court and land records
Places / Localities
- Quaker Records (Baptisms, Births, Marriages, Deaths) from Wrightsboro Meeting House, Thomson, Georgia Georgia Pioneers
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills 1872-1885 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Book A Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Inventories, Sales, Appraisements, Years' Support, 1871-1927 Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1870-1876 - McDuffie County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1870-1876. Batch M713291 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1895 - McDuffie County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1877-1895. Batch M713292 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- McDuffie County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), McDuffie County, Georgia. Page 158 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.