Mellette County, South Dakota Genealogy
Mellette County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Mellette County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||June 3, 1909|
|County Seat||White River|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Mellette County Courthouse
S 1st Street; PO Box C;
White River, SD 57579
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1912,
burial records from 1913 and land records; County
Treasurer has marriage records from 1912; Clerk Court has
divorce, probate and court records from 1911
- 1909--Mellette County was created 3 June 1909 from Jackson, Meyer, Eliminated 3 Jun. 1909, Pratt, Eliminated 3 Jun. 1909, and Washabaugh Counties, and unorganized territory.
County seat: White River 
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Mellette County, South Dakota, p.626
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).