Difference between revisions of "Mellor, Lancashire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 3: Line 3:
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
MELLOR, a township, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 2¾ miles (N. W.) from Blackburn; containing 1844 inhabitants. The manor formerly belonged to the Southworths. In the last century it was the property of Mr. Ramsbottom, of Chorley, who sold the manor and estates to Mr. Bolton, of whom they were purchased by Henry Sudell, Esq., of Blackburn. In 1832 John Fowden Hindle, Esq., bought Mr. Sudell's property in Mellor. The township is situated on the line of the Preston and Blackburn new road, and comprises by computation 1620 acres of well-cultivated land, whereof about 14 acres are wood and plantations, and the remainder arable and pasture: there is an excellent stone-quarry. A court baron was held here so late as 1826; a wake was formerly held, and a fair takes place occasionally. In the hamlet of Mellor-Brook, partly in this township, and partly in that of Balderstone, is a cotton-mill, built in 1834, and worked by Messrs. Crankshaw and Dall, who have neat residences adjacent; Prospect House is that of William Crankshaw, Esq. Woodfold Park forms the chief ornament of Mellor. Stanley House, the manorial Hall, was the residence of Mr. Ramsbottom. A district church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built '''in 1829''', at a cost of £5275; it is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a tower and spire, and, standing on an eminence, is a conspicuous object in the scenery. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Blackburn, with a net income of £150. At Mellor-Brook is St. Saviour's chapel, purchased from the Independents in 1834 by means of subscription, and remodelled for the use of the Establishment; it is a neat structure with a spire, and cost £550. A district has been assigned to it, and the living is also a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar. The Wesleyans have two places of worship, one of them situated near the mill; and there are two schools, one of them at Mellor-Brook. On Mellor moor are the remains of a Roman encampment.  
+
MELLOR, a township with '''a district chapel''', ''in the parish'', union, and Lower division of the hundred, '''''of Blackburn''''', N. division of Lancashire, 2¾ miles northwest of Blackburn. The hamlet of Mellor-Brook, is partly in this township, and partly in that of Balderstone. The '''district church''', dedicated to '''St. Mary''', was built '''in 1829,''' in the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Blackburn. '''At Mellor-Brook is St. Saviour's chapel''', purchased from the Independents in '''1834''' by means of subscription, and remodelled for the use of the Establishment; it is a neat structure with a spire, and cost £550. A district has been assigned to it, and also comes under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of Blackburn Parish.  
  
From: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 283-287. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51142 Date accessed: 20 July 2010.
+
The Wesleyan Methodists have two places of worship, one of them situated near the mill.<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 283-287.&amp;nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.</ref>
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 19: Line 19:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
 
==== Probate records<br> ====
 
==== Probate records<br> ====
Line 36: Line 36:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>
+
== Reference<br> ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 17:26, 12 March 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Chapelry History

MELLOR, a township with a district chapel, in the parish, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 2¾ miles northwest of Blackburn. The hamlet of Mellor-Brook, is partly in this township, and partly in that of Balderstone. The district church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built in 1829, in the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Blackburn. At Mellor-Brook is St. Saviour's chapel, purchased from the Independents in 1834 by means of subscription, and remodelled for the use of the Establishment; it is a neat structure with a spire, and cost £550. A district has been assigned to it, and also comes under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of Blackburn Parish.

The Wesleyan Methodists have two places of worship, one of them situated near the mill.[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 283-287.&nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 20 July 2010.