Mercer County, New Jersey Genealogy
|Mercer County, New Jersey|
Location in the state of New Jersey
Location of New Jersey in the U.S.
|Address|| Trenton County Courthouse|
PO Box 8068
Trenton, NJ 08650-0068
Phone: (609) 989-6517
Mercer County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Resources
- 4 Repositories
- 5 Places
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Mercer County Courthouse
PO Box 8068;
Trenton, NJ 08650-0068
County Surrogate has probate records.
County Clerk has court and land records from 1838, judgments, tax maps, and corporation records.
- 1839, more parts from Hunterdon County added.
- 1844, Hopewell twp. returned to Hunterdon County and then returned in 1845.
Early migration routes to and from Mercer County, New Jersey Genealogy for settlers included:
- Delaware River a pre-historic pathway serving as the border between New Jersey and Pennsylvania rises in Schoharie County, New York and flows by the Lehigh Canal in Pennsylvania, Frenchtown, Trenton where river meets tidewater, and past Bordentown in New Jersey, Philadelphia in Pennsylvania to empty into the North Atlantic Ocean.
- King's Highway 1673 connected Boston, Massachusetts to Charleston, South Carolina and many coastal cities between including Philadelphia, Trenton, and New York City.
- Delaware and Raritan Canal 1834 connected New Brunswick, New Jersey on the Raritan River (and NY City) to Bordontown, New Jersey on the Delaware River and parts of Pennsylvania including Philadelphia. A boat traffic carrying feeder canal from near Frenchtown also supplied water to the Trenton part of the D&R Canal.
Obtaining Copies of County Probate Records
Copies of recorded probate records and the estate files can be obtained from the surrogate's offices for a fee. Addresses of surrogate's offices are found in:
- Eichholz, Alice, Editor. Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Revised Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1992. (Family History Library book 973 D27rb 1992.) Explains state-by-state history, vital records, census, background sources, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records. Includes county boundary map and table which shows when each county was created and the parent counties.
In addition, copies of the original wills, administrations, inventories, and guardianships sent to Trenton since 1901 can be ordered from:
- Clerk of the Superior Court
- Records Information Center
- P.O. Box 967
- Trenton, NJ 08625-0967
- Telephone: 609-292-4978
- Fax: 609-777-0094
- Internet: http://www.answers.com/topic/new-jersey-superior-court
Archives, Libraries, and Museums
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mercer County, New Jersey page 464, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "HBG" defined multiple times with different content
- Handybook, 847-61.