Mercer County, West Virginia Genealogy
|Mercer County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Mercer County Courthouse
P O Box 1716,
Princeton, WV 24740
County Clerk has birth, marriage and death records from 1853; probate and land recrods from 1837; Circuit Court Clerk has divorce and court records from 1837
See an interactive map of Mercer County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Bland County, Virginia
- Giles County, Virginia
- Tazewell County, Virginia
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Johnston, Daniel E A History of the Middle New River Settlements and Contiguous Kinyon Digital Library
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Mercer County on page 135.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
Regiments. Service men in Mercer County, West Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Mercer County, West Virginia Genealogy:
- - 8th Regiment, Virginia Cavalry (Confederate). Company D (1st) (French's Company), Company E (Border Rangers) and Company H (Tazewell Troop).
- - 23rd Battalion, Virginia Infantry Reserves (Confederate). Company B (The Blue Stone Greys).
- - 24th Regiment, Virginia Infantry (Confederate). Company G.
- - 26th Battalion, Virginia Infantry (Edgar's) (Confederate). Company C.
- - 30th Battalion, Virginia Sharpshooters (Clarke's) (Confederate). Company A.
- - 34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry (Witcher's Battalion, Virginia Mounted Rifles) (Confederate). Company K.
Records and histories are available, including:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Societies and Libraries
Mercer Co Historical Society
P.O. Box 5012
Princeton, WV 24740.
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- CYNDI'S List West Virginia
- Book One Western Virginia An old man's thrilling experiences in Mercer County.
- The New Dailey Telegraph
- Historic Bramwell, West Virginia
- Horton G Cowan
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mercer County, West Virginia. Page 744 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Jack L. Dickinson, 8th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1986). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 25.
- J.L. Scott, 23rd Battalion Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, c1991). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 79.
- Ralph White Gunn, 24th Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1987). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 34.
- Terry Lowry, 26th Battalion Virginia Infantry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1991). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 81.
- Michael West, 30th Battalion Virginia Sharpshooters (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1995). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 108.
- Scott C. Cole, 34th Virginia Cavalry (Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1993). FHL Book 975.5 M2vr v. 94.