Meriden, Warwickshire Genealogy
Meriden, is a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Warwickshire. It is 2½ miles E of Hampton-Junction railway station, and 5½ miles WNW of Coventry; was formerly called Alspath; it has a post office, under Coventry, and a police station. The places of worship, in 1851, were the Church of England; Independents, Wesleyans, and Latter Day Saints.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464171.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Wilson, John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-1872). Date accessed and adapted: 13 November 2013.